Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peer Guardian

DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SeK612@8 July 2003 - 09:47
    Personally I've never bothered using it. I do have it somewhere on my P.C but never really liked the thing. Besides if the RIAA, FBI and Mediaa force (as well as the rest of the companies that are featured on the "big lists" of recommended IP's to block) were as big a threat as they like to make out then they've already worked out how to outsmart Peer Guardian and are happily picking off hundreds of sharers as they go
    Thats why Peer Guardian gets updated alot...because of that.

( And by the way im blocking over 52 million IP Address lol...thats how many the recommended is on the Peer Guardian Site )

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    does anyone know an easier way of setting up ZApro to the PG blocklist other that manually entering in the ranges?
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    imported_The__One
    Peer Guardian most certainly does block out more IP's then it needs to, at least it does when U load 747.597.135 I.P's into it

PG blocked 725 IP's during 1 day, in which, by the way, I didn't even open Kazaa

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Originally posted by ripley02@8 July 2003 - 16:45
    does anyone know an easier way of setting up ZApro to the PG blocklist other that manually entering in the ranges?
    yep, http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?showtopic=49018

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Originally posted by The__One@8 July 2003 - 17:15
    Peer Guardian most certainly does block out more IP's then it needs to, at least it does when U load 747.597.135 I.P's into it

PG blocked 725 IP's during 1 day, in which, by the way, I didn't even open Kazaa
    i'm guessing that number has gotta be a joke (i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt)

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Originally posted by The__One@8 July 2003 - 17:15
    Actually I completely believe him. I got 363 blocks yesterday and my computer was only on for about 4 hours - during this time I was not running Kazaa.

Oh and BTW, PG said they were all from the FBI. Now this is what has had me worried over the past couple of days. I performed a whois query on arin.net on that IP that says "FBI" and it really is the "United Colocation Group, Inc." I'm not sure exactly who they are or what they do, but they look like some kind of provider of dedicated hosting solutions.

Explain WTF would make them want to be hitting my computer so hard then?

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    @cyberdman- i should have been more specific i was talkin about the number of ips loaded from The__One 's post - 747,597,135- which is way to high to be effective (and of course you're gonna a ton of closec connections with that many ips)- the recommended pg database list is around 50 million addresses. the real anti p2p groups work in smaller ranges that are harder to find- some ppl seem to be intent on blocking out other file sharers in the name of being safe or whatever.

also pg is not the best way to protect you from anti p2p groups coz it doesn't close udp connections- it only monitors and closes tcp/icp connections...

on the fbi thing my guess is that those ranges are bogus (of course i don't know for sure but i know at one point someone was actually submitting ranges based on fbi.com lol-check for my recent submissions to the pg database- the "federal bureau of investigation" ranges- which are legit- obviously is would be next to impossible to get all the ranges the fbi works from unless you feel like getting their attention but i question to what degree they are involved in going after individual file sharers-i've read the articles about it but really- i doubt it...

as for the united colocation group they say they are a hosting company:

Welcome to United Colocation Group. We are the leading provider of cutting-edge dedicated hosting solutions and comprehensive co-location management to small businesses and mid-size enterprises.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    imported_The__One
    Actually, that number is real, I loaded 747.597.135 IP's into PG I collected every IP List I found (for Peer Guardian of course..)

I did this more for fun than security issues, since, as dingdongding stated, blocking so many IP's isn't really effective, and several anti-piracy groups use UDP and TPC/IP....and PG only blocks TPC/IP connections.... B)

see the screen shot below:

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Poster
    i wouldnt waste my time with Peer guardian. It blocks many innocent uses. Do you really think that the p2p enemies are really scaning everyone(most ppl are "scaned" over 20 times a day)? I have it block ips when kazaa isnt even on! The p2p enimes arent goin to use obivious ip ranges that are listed on peer guardian anyway(especially the FBI)...

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    it's better to have the ips imported into a firewall than use pg but i think we've already beaten that one to death- as for the ips they are being edited daily- again this has been covered

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123