Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modem Or Broadband

hugoharding's Avatar its changed since 02
    Hi,

I was just wondering, does being on a modem or broadband connection change the chances of being caught by the riaa or others.

I no its highly unlikely anyway, but does the fact that it takes longer to download an mp3 on a modem make a difference or does it not matter?

cheers,

Hugo

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    The RIAA looks for people with broadband because they can share more. So, technically, I guess you'd be 'safer' with a 56k or less modem, but that's only because you can share less. Really, it doesn't affect the odds of you getting caught. But then again... the odds are so small either way.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Don't worry about getting caught. It wont happen and if it does then flee the country and go live in Greenland. They will never think to look there.

Dialup is safer I guess because the IP address changes everytime you connect. Plus you are not a hot target.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Fluffy_Bunny@6 July 2003 - 19:34
    The RIAA looks for people with broadband because they can share more. So, technically, I guess you'd be 'safer' with a 56k or less modem, but that's only because you can share less.
    It dosen't matter which connection you have. I don't think you have to share 'less' since your on Dial-Up, but when you get Broadband you can share 'more'. Dial-Up and Broadband users can share the same amount of files, but of course Dial-Up users notice a long time in uploads.

If the RIAA notices your sharing alot of files, no matter if your a dial-up user or a high speed connection, they going to fucking come after your ass.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    hugoharding's Avatar its changed since 02
    Originally posted by Arm@6 July 2003 - 21:22
    Dialup is safer I guess because the IP address changes everytime you connect.
    Is this really true, mine seems to always be the same.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by hugoharding+6 July 2003 - 21:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hugoharding &#064; 6 July 2003 - 21:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Arm@6 July 2003 - 21:22
    Dialup is safer I guess because the IP address changes everytime you connect.
    Is this really true, mine seems to always be the same. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, Dial-Up users get a different IP address every time they connect to their ISP.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Unless u have anything to hide then dont worry

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Uhh, we all have something to hide... like every file we&#39;ve downloaded...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    56k are more safe because the ip isnt static(like dsl and cable) but whats the point of the internet with 56k modem?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    DSl and Cable are not static they are dynamic, handed out by A DHCP server (D = DYNAMIC) Static is only done by request in most cases, or for commercial accounts. In theory on Dial up you are handed out a new IP on every connection - however that is only if the one you previously using is claimed by someone else. Not that it matters because no matter how often it changed your ISP still knows who had and has what IP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast