Thread: Web Design Cheating

ok iam far from being gr8 at web design... But do u consider using Dreamweaver extensions cheating and do like pro web designers ever use those free JavaScripting sites..

i would luv sum advice

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Not necessarily - Not every DW-user is a professional (but at least they know its superiority over Frontpage - that's a start ). They, IMO, are useful in being able to automate or simplify techniques for the web site, kinda like the macros in Microsoft Office.

However, you lose the potential benefits of a custom job - This could be a problem if the extension(s)'s not optimised fully, but most are so it really isn't a problem.

If you are/want to be an enthusiast for web page design though, you could always use the extensions to start off then write custom extensions when you're used to it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I wish i could write my own extensions.. But iam having major problems writing my javascript for sum moving text -- so i Highly doubt i could.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    there are all kinds of webdesigners.
    I'm one that knows like all HTML stuff by experience, ushally research and use premade javascript, know alot about making cartoons in Flash, and enjoys useing FrontPage XP or DreamweaverMX to "save time".

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm one that knows like all HTML stuff by experience, ushally research and use premade javascript, know alot about making cartoons in Flash, and enjoys useing FrontPage XP or DreamweaverMX to "save time".

u wouldn't want 2 make me a text scroller would u

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by MetroStars@6 July 2003 - 17:30

u wouldn't want 2 make me a text scroller would u
    i can try.
    probably a way i can use the "text move" java code and set it to go Horizontally downwards. Or would u want it go upwards?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I think even pro webdesigners look at some free javascripts for some idea's. Ofcourse they wouldnt be using those and giving credit to others when they themselves are capable of it. And surely using extensions is not cheating but a faster and efficient way to do things instead of wasting time and writing your own extensions. It was introduced to make work easier for webdesigners but surely it helps newbies to apply the same effects a pro webdesigner would be capable of doing.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    notepad to the end&#33;......ya&#39;ll suck if u gotta use the fancy programs....i just use notepad....its as basic as u can get.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by DarkBlizzard@7 July 2003 - 08:42
    notepad to the end&#33;......ya&#39;ll suck if u gotta use the fancy programs....i just use notepad....its as basic as u can get.
    Or maybe we just don&#39;t want the hassle of spending a long time writing, debugging code etc for professional-looking sites when the same can be done & customised within an hour (in most times)

Ever thought of that?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    I use Dreamweaver for the reference (HTML/CSS/JS), otherwise, no. I find that i can code something in notepad much faster (maybe i&#39;m weird ), so, anyway, i never use free code snippets except (sometimes) for ideas, as I.am said, because JS is not something too hard to code. I don&#39;t know PHP yet though (do know ASP, but ppl who know both use PHP, so i guess it&#39;s better, and more efficient), so, maybe i&#39;ll have to look at many more code snippets with PHP... as for XML (my own extensions), i don&#39;t really see the purpose because CSS has a whole lot of extensions anyway (unless you meant something else?), but maybe if i&#39;d really need an extension i&#39;d write one... never needed it so far though.

Also, for webdesign, i highly recommend using as little pure HTML as you can. Use Stylesheets for practically everything - even the most minor details. Also, use databases (ASP/PHP) on every possible occasion. Benefits:

1) With one stylesheet that has ALL VISUAL DATA for ~20 pages, you can easily change the whole look in ~5 minutes, save it to a new stylesheet, and have 2 visual themes. Also if you need a minor design change, you can do it once instead of 20 times.

2) To change a stylesheet, you only need to change 1 line in the HTML - the <link> tag

3) With databases you can make Search and a Content Management system possible for your site. But you&#39;ll need SQL or the like.

4) You can quickly add/remove items from your menu, change text, etc. on ALL pages at once, by editing the database.

More benefits that i can&#39;t think of right now...