Thread: Jpeg Compression, Or Gif Color Lowering?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I prefer Gif Color Lowering because it can do a better job sometimes. Plus makes images really small and tweaked
    edit: Photoshop has a "Save for the web feature" works like a charm with Gif Color lowering

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    If you set your JPEG compression to 10% or lower, they usually don't look that bad. The only time I use GIF is for animation or transparent background.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I find GIF compression works great on "window screenshots" cause u can lower the colors alot and not lose much. (even windows xp's themes dont use that much)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I'm starting to create my [crappy, low-skill] images (for a possible website) using the PNG format. The bad thing is, not all browsers fully support it. Mozilla, no problem, but IE just doesn't get the colors right.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    I'm with nightwolf on this one, for the same reasons.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@6 July 2003 - 12:36
    If you set your JPEG compression to 10% or lower, they usually don't look that bad. The only time I use GIF is for animation or transparent background.
    Same here. Prefer JPG normally, GIF only for animations or a replacement for flash.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@6 July 2003 - 23:00
    I&#39;m starting to create my [crappy, low-skill] images (for a possible website) using the PNG format. The bad thing is, not all browsers fully support it. Mozilla, no problem, but IE just doesn&#39;t get the colors right.
    your right PNG looks different on IE..you should just use gif&#39;s or jpeg&#39;s. Jpegs are a little bigger than PNG i think but GIF&#39;s are smaller than PNG.

@ I.am I use GIF&#39;s on all my pictures unless its a really tiny picture....then i just use bitmap.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    Jpeg forever&#33; I can usually compress really well with Jpeg anyway, but use GIF for animation, transparency and 2-3 -colour images maybe with antialiasing (64 colours or below).

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    In Adobe Photoshop 7&#39;s "Save for the web" feature....it&#39;s a total toolkit of compression tweaking.. really does amazing GIF compression. The Jpeg also allows slight blur to remove the fuzz