Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The "retired trader" phenomenon

znik's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    I notice more and more people declaring themselves as "retired traders" here and I was wondering why they are doing it.

-Do they feel uncomfortable and shamed of their past?

-Does this make them feel as experienced and cool bittorent users that have accomplished something special?

-Do they want to pretend to be trusted non-traders so as to get invites they couldn't get via trading?

-Do they need some kind of pension?

A lot of people are also declaring that they will retire after they get this and that tracker.
    Is this another kind of trick to get what they want?

How many of these "retired" traders do you actually think that they really retire and how many of them won't start trading again when a new tracker pops-up in the list?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    beat's Avatar Square BT Rep: +4
    I think they announce their retirement to get some pension out of it (maybe to beg for invites like FTN). I already tried to explain that those kind of threads are pointless in a recent "retirement" announcement but I guess the so called retired didn't understand my point.
    Last edited by beat; 09-17-2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I thinks it's
    -Does this make them feel as experienced and cool bittorent users that have accomplished something special?
    I don't check topics in BT Invite section that regulary except titles but I see lots of them recently.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Kirstein's Avatar torrent lover BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I hear you znik, it's as if it's becoming a trend and a lot of times it's in peoples signatures either "retired trader" or "I don't trade" as if people are trying too hard to make a point, which shouldn't be neccesary, if people want to know where they stand, they should be able to by just looking at their posts, I don't get it??

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    znik's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    The only signature I haven't seen so far is "retired scammer"!

It seems that scammers never retire!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    I choose this one;

Quote Originally Posted by znik View Post
    -Do they want to pretend to be trusted non-traders so as to get invites they couldn't get via trading?
    I'm always skeptical of people who declare themselves retired. What's the point if your not going to trade anymore then just don't. It's as easy as that.

Having said that there's at least one ex-trader that I do trust

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    dbmp's Avatar ubuntu <3 BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    -Do they feel uncomfortable and shamed of their past?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    zedex's Avatar Borat Brother BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    they think that it will help them when they beg here for FTN each time

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I heard being a "retired trader" is an aphrodisiac to teh ladies
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    seh's Avatar ______________ BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Lol, yeah always thought it was kinda funny.
    But ahh well, whatever makes them happy I guess.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast