Thread: Which CPU for seedbox?

DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +3
    I'm ordering a new seedbox and have an opton of these two.

6600 core 2 duo 2.4 Ghz or P4 3.0Ghz HT

Just wondering which cpu I should choose. The seedbox will be running centos with torrentflux b4rt.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I doubt you would notice any performance difference between the two.
    The faster cpu might make a second or two different when checking a big torrent which dosn't matter.

The internet connection will be the limiting factor, possibly followed by HD seek time if you are have lots of simultaneous upload streams.
    Last edited by zaphodiv; 10-13-2007 at 04:29 PM.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Have you considered the low power CPUs from AMD?. If you are going to be running the box 24*7, then I would be worried about the electricity bill.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Errrr, I run uTorrent with XP Pro on a headless Via Epia 5000 (silent except for the HD seeking), which is equivalent to about a P1 200MHz, via RDP and it works fine. Granted, though, I only have about about 30-50 things being seeded at any one time. CPU usage hovers at about 20% while RDPing.