Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does PeerGuardian2 actually make a difference?

Does it actually make a difference and actually keep you "safer"? I've researched and many people just say it just provides a false sense of security for the users.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Anti-Trader Inc. BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by camelfilters View Post
    ... and many people just say it just provides a false sense of security for the users.
    My thoughts exactly...

There are millions on the bittorrent network, so if you do end up as an unlucky brat, there's not much you can do to prevent it can you...

Anyways, downloading stuff aint illegal, uploading is...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    snap3r's Avatar ..::/\::.. BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    nope > it doesnt make any diference at all > its beter if you use utorrent with ip filter
    search it on google im sure you will find it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'v never seen a reason to use it .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    I'v never seen a reason to use it .
    TorrentFreak did a bit about it: Do P2P Blocklists Keep you Safe?

It wasn't really tested over a BT network tho' but I've logged Safe.net hits before
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    It's blocked lots of Safe.net connection attempts for me too.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    It's blocked lots of Safe.net connection attempts for me too.
    Yeah there was a topic at Phoenix Labs 'bout that. Seems to have happened to alotta people.

It's been a while since I got hit from'em now...Ever since I did a reinstall...
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by anions View Post
    downloading stuff aint illegal, uploading is...
    fact
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anions View Post
    downloading stuff aint illegal, uploading is...
    fact
    Not in America........................................................

Does it actually make a difference and actually keep you "safer"?
    Camelfilters... let me respond in the form of an analogy. In this analogy, a computer with an IP filter running, in this context, is like a 300-Spartan shielding himself from the black arrows of the Persian army. Only since we are dealing with an imperfect IP filter, in that it can't possibly block every anti-p2p IP address, this shield was a few holes in it big enough for 1 arrow to pierce its defense.
    Now put yourself in the warriors shoes (or sandals!) and make a decision - would you rather go into battle with the hole-ridden shield or with no shield at all?

Your answer to that question will tell you whether you think an IP filter makes a difference.

I've researched and many people just say it just provides a false sense of security for the users.
    First of all, you have to put the word security into some sort of context. Are they talking about "marginal" security, "acceptable" security, or "perfect" security. While Peerguardian does provide marginal and, at least to me, acceptable security, it does not and will never rovide perfect security. It seems to me that they are referring to "perfect" security. I'll give you some insight into the world of technology... no data is perfectly secure. Secondly, f*ck those bastards. They are trying to tell you how you feel. They are generalizing people's expectations regarding an IP filter. Anyone with half a brain can realize that IP filters aren't perfect, so no one should expect them to be.

Those people are paranoid alarmists. Be rational. Think of how many people are using BitTorrent in the same manner as you. Then notice how many of them aren't using an IP filter, while you are. If you are afraid of getting caught, then this might provide you some comfort: Anti-P2P organizations only go after those about whom they have collected the most information ( or at least I presume, because the more information they have, the better a chance they have in the court of law and the more money for which they can sue you).
    Last edited by Brenya; 09-04-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    lol. download shit is illegal

peerguardian does help

when i download the newest dvd rips and tcs, i get people like the mpaa, riaa, different universities, media defender, trying to fuck with my protowall. pwned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast