Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Processor Temperature

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if my processor temperature is too high. It runs around 52°C running idle and around 60°C running stuff like Unreal Tournament 2003 and Dr. DivX. I know that around 70°C is critical temp and this is running a little too close to it for my liking. I have just installed a new "overclocker's super cooling" heatsink and fan to replace my old noisy as hell fan, but it has made no real difference to the overall temperature of my processor (which isn't even overclocked&#33. I have my computer in an upstairs room which is a lot warmer than the downstairs rooms and I know this will contribute, but I can't move the machine because of my broadband connection and my family moaning.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Well seems a little higher than I would want, 35-45 avg temps. How about your case cooling? Any case fans installed? I would suggest making sure you have a fan in the back pulling air out and perhaps a fan in the front pulling air in to help air flow within the case. Make sure you have no dust build up inside too, cleaning fans, heatsinks helps. If system is on the ground, maybe place something to keep it from being directly on the floor to avoid dust from being pulled in.

Just some insight:

AMD cpu temps
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks for the help and the link CornerPocket, some nice info on it. I do have a case fan at the back and I was thinking of putting one in at the front but I'm a little low on space (any recommendations?). I also have my computer on a desk and clean it often, but the temp is still high. Are these recommend temperatures tested in the hotter weather? Because in winter my pc was running around 39°C.
    Cheers.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Most cases have a designated spot in the lower front (inside) for a avg 80mm x 80mm x 25mm fan. If you do not have the space, perhaps a modification may be of some help. Mounting a fan on the left side panel, something like this

Where as placing the fan to pull air in just in front of the cpu. Of course summer heat will have an effect on temps. Not sure what type of grease was provided on the heatsink, but perhaps removing the grease and placing some Artic Silver thermal grease will provide lower temps. I use Artic Silver 3. As a last resort you could always remove the left panel.

Good Luck!
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks for the tips buddy, I'll try them out. My heat sink grease is Silmore Taiwan Heat Sink Silicone Compound if you're interested, but I'll try some Artic Silver 3, it looks quite good.
    Cheers CornerPocket.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Gooch2k@7 July 2003 - 11:38
    Thanks for the tips buddy, I'll try them out. My heat sink grease is Silmore Taiwan Heat Sink Silicone Compound if you're interested, but I'll try some Artic Silver 3, it looks quite good. 
    Cheers CornerPocket.
    Just to clarify, use the compound version not adhesive. Sorry provided a quick reply without mentioning that.
    Compound link can be found within that link which I am sure you discovered. Good luck
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    You might want to take a look at coolerXP from the MSI support site. It comes with PC Alert 4 but just copy cooler XP to the desktop and run it alone from there. another one is CPU Idle. They both introduce "wait states" which allow the CPU to rest a bit and run a lot cooler. If you look in the task manager now, you might see a single process taking 50-100% of processor time even though it's not really doing anything. CoolerXP takes over and will be reported as a running process but it's a windows glitch. It can't tell the differnce in the processes.
    I've run as high as 50c without coolerXP at full load. With coolerXP and at full load, I'm down around 25-30c now. You may have some display problems while running the coolers but just turn it off and on as needed then.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Woh I want that case
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    check this out

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Gooch2k@7 July 2003 - 06:23
    It runs around 52°C running idle and around 60°C running stuff like Unreal Tournament 2003 and Dr. DivX. I know that around 70°C is critical temp and this is running a little too close to it for my liking.
    70 degrees will not damage all CPUs. it may damage some models, but the recommended maximum actually varies from one model to the next. most people would agree that 70 is hot, and most properly cooled desktop CPUs will not reach 70.

60 is safe. it is warm, but safe... and it's quite a few degrees between that and 70. if you really want to reach an ideal temperature, you could take steps to lower it into the 35-50 degree range. but i would say that if 60 is the highest temperature you've seen in the midst of summer, you have nothing to panic about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast