Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barry Bonds: new home run king

DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I give it less than a decade before A-rod overtakes his eventual record.

At least then maybe there'll be no steroid controversy. Well, unless Canseco has something to say about it.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    SpiderPig's Avatar The Clams BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Yes, but a hell of an accomplishment; and steroids or not, I applaud him!

I am a mild Giants fan, so it's cool seeing this HR in AT&T Park.

Henry Aaron will still be the Home Run KING.
    Congrads on Bud Selig congradulating Bonds.

Bonds will probably go for 800, and will probably do it.
    Last edited by SpiderPig; 08-08-2007 at 05:41 AM.
    No Whining

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

yo

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Maybe Billy Crystal can also direct the movie 756*
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    I agree if A-rod stays healthy he will shatter many records
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    This is all due to anabolics....

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

On point, that.

Sad that we'll never know the truth about the allegations of steroid use, left as we are with Bonds' obfuscations and the denials thrown up by those
    would excuse him as unendicted, and by default "innocent".

It must be granted, however, that he is the undisputed home run king of the steroid era, and holds that title on the strength of his natural talent and baseball sense.

If not for the latter, he would just be another Jose Canseco, yes?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

On point, that.

Sad that we'll never know the truth about the allegations of steroid use, left as we are with Bonds' obfuscations and the denials thrown up by those

It must be granted, however, that he is the undisputed home run king of the steroid era, and holds that title on the strength of his natural talent and baseball sense.

No.

Canseco admitted using steroids for just about his whole career.

Bonds was a hall of famer well before the steroid era.

His HR has now solidified it....absent a positive test.

If they were to somehow get Bonds absent and admission or positive drug test, it will be one of biggest pieces of bullshit I have ever seen in sports.

Also I never heard of talk of asterisks for Canseco.

He, Bonds, Soriano, A-Rod, are the only ones part of the 40-40 Club.

I never heard calls for Canseco to be wiped from record and he admitted....so wtf?

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

On point, that.

No.

Canseco admitted using steroids for just about his whole career.

Bonds was a hall of famer well before the steroid era.

His HR has now solidified it....absent a positive test.

If they were to somehow get Bonds absent and admission or positive drug test, it will be one of biggest pieces of bullshit I have ever seen in sports.

Also I never heard of talk of asterisks for Canseco.

He, Bonds, Soriano, A-Rod, are the only ones part of the 40-40 Club.

I never heard calls for Canseco to be wiped from record and he admitted....so wtf?
    Find for me a post in which I've advocated asterisks or erasures for anyone at all.

On the other hand, I have no trouble whatsoever with a scenario wherein Bonds resides at the top of the all-time home-run list, but is looked upon by the majority as a cheater.

We see instances ad nauseum in society today of this "It's never been proven" bullshit; it's about time people started to get the idea that telling the truth is not the same thing as making sure no one can prove you've lied.

Of course, you may think otherwise...

BTW-

As to the issue of Canseco, a quick re-read of my post (along with a bit of actual thought on your part) should reveal my recognition of Bonds' superiority to Canseco as an athlete, steriods aside.

This phrase - "and holds that title on the strength of his natural talent and baseball sense." is the giveaway, I should think...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    I agree Barry Bonds is a great HITTER! I think in the 80s early 90s, MLB was not as strict with any steroid policy's as they are now.. Look 2 the 80s. If a player hit 30 home runs they were among the league leaders! every year the HR count kept rising, players you never heard of before were hitting 30-40 home runs a year in the by the late 90's.. The Bonds family is deep rooted in baseball and very respected..Mark Mcguire(dt know the right spelling?) and Barry bonds both started hitting 50 home runs a season or more @ the end of their career's, ( Bonds will going to retire soon, if not this year?)doeas that make sense? Why did Sammy Sosa hit 50 a year and simmer down so much we barely hear his name? The league got stict with substance abuse and technology grew so they could identify these substances( some i guess were legal but was Hank Aaron using these substances? i dont think they were even invented yet?..Logically i would think Bonds and other elite home run hitters of the 90's and early 2000 were experimenting with performance enhancement substances.. Why dont 10-15 players hit over 50 home runs a year anymore? nobody can take the home run title back and Barry Bonds is a great baseball player regardless but i think he reached Aaron's record with help, and not just his natural ability.. In Aaron era is was a greater accomplishment! Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast