Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oppression of pastafarians

A student has been suspended from school in America for coming to class dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Bryan Killian says that he follows the Pastafarian religion, and that as a crucial part of his faith, he must wear 'full pirate regalia' as prescribed in the holy texts of Pastafarianism.

The school, however, say that his pirate garb was disruptive.

Pastafarians follow the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pictured), and believe that the world was created by the touch of his noodly appendage. Furthermore, they acknowledge pirates as being 'absolute divine beings', and stress that the worldwide decline in the number of pirates has directly led to global warming.

A man in full pirate regalia

Pastafarianism gained wide attention when its key prophet, Bobby Henderson, wrote to the Kansas School Board during the height of the controversy over 'Intelligent Design' being taught in science classes. His letter, also published on his website, demanded equal time be given to the teachings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as was given to ID and evolutionary theory.

Since then, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has gained countless followers worldwide, although there are those who remain spagnostic.

The school, in North Buncombe, North Carolina, remains adamant that their decision to suspend Killian for a day has nothing to do with his religion, and quite a lot to do with his repeated refusal to heed warnings against wearing pirate outfits.
    Read up a bit about pastafarianism today and i was quite surprised to find out that the peeps in charge seem to be trying to keep it strictly about Intelligent Design in classrooms and seem to be against a more general pisstake of religion. Presumably they don't really support this kind of dressing up as it broadens their camapaign into the area of ridiculing the perks afforded to believers...

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...#StartComments
    Last edited by ilw; 09-19-2007 at 10:21 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    A student has been suspended from school in America for coming to class dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Bryan Killian says that he follows the Pastafarian religion, and that as a crucial part of his faith, he must wear 'full pirate regalia' as prescribed in the holy texts of Pastafarianism.

The school, however, say that his pirate garb was disruptive.

Pastafarians follow the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pictured), and believe that the world was created by the touch of his noodly appendage. Furthermore, they acknowledge pirates as being 'absolute divine beings', and stress that the worldwide decline in the number of pirates has directly led to global warming.

A man in full pirate regalia

Pastafarianism gained wide attention when its key prophet, Bobby Henderson, wrote to the Kansas School Board during the height of the controversy over 'Intelligent Design' being taught in science classes. His letter, also published on his website, demanded equal time be given to the teachings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as was given to ID and evolutionary theory.

Since then, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has gained countless followers worldwide, although there are those who remain spagnostic.

The school, in North Buncombe, North Carolina, remains adamant that their decision to suspend Killian for a day has nothing to do with his religion, and quite a lot to do with his repeated refusal to heed warnings against wearing pirate outfits.
    Read up a bit about pastafarianism today and i was quite surprised to find out that the peeps in charge seem to be trying to keep it strictly about Intelligent Design in classrooms and seem to be against a more general pisstake of religion. Presumably they don't really support this kind of dressing up as it broadens their camapaign into the area of ridiculing the perks afforded to believers...

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...#StartComments

Have you been hitting the "Sauce" a little too hard.

Spagnostic. Love that!
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    You would think that someone would use their noodle and sit down and sort all this out.

It is a good way to make a point. Get noticed.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    It's about time people made a satirical religion as a way to expose the folly behind the promotion of one religion over another, or rather religion altogether, by the government. Or is this religion really legit. I don't know (and I don't really care lol).

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenya View Post
    It's about time people made a satirical religion as a way to expose the folly behind the promotion of one religion over another, or rather religion altogether, by the government. Or is this religion really legit. I don't know (and I don't really care lol).
    if it gets me the rest of christmas week off i'll join it. As to whether its legit, i think nobody has the authority to say either way
    Last edited by ilw; 09-30-2007 at 12:47 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    shitty server

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    shitty server

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    shitty server

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    shitty server

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    shitty server

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast