Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building A Yoshi's Box

Poster
    Okay so I want to build my very own yoshi's box. For those of you who don't like or have techtv this is a single unit with multiple game systems inside. Anyway my question- Is there a cd-r/dvd-r drive that will read all of the game disks. In particular gamecube, xbox, ps2, and dreamcast. I'm asking because I would like to dispose of the original drives and use just one drive for all the systems I decide to put in my box. I'm still kinda tossing around the idea and would like any other suggestions ne1 could give. Thx in advance 4 ne help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    post in hardware world

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    It would be extremely difficult to set it up to just use one drive. You would need some type of router/switcher setup so it would send the data read to the correct console. It would be easier just to gut the systems and put them into the computer like in the Yoshi Box.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Sorry Wolfmight wasn't too sure.

Xilo I know it would be alot easier to do it that way, but lets just say I would like to challenge myself. And if there isn't a drive that could do this then I'm wasting my time that is why I posted. Thx for the comment though.

Also could a mod please move this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by gbfan@7 July 2003 - 21:12
    Also could a mod please move this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    done.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    and yes, it would be extremely difficult... if not impossible... stick with the proprietary drives...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    as far as i know, GC, ps2 and xbox use dvd drives... i dunno if it would be possible for a single drive to be compatible with all of them...

but the one that would cause the biggest problem is dreamcast because DC used a completely proprietary drive/disc that had a higher capacity than CDs (i think approximately twice as much data) but it wasn't DVD.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i think the disks the dreamcast used were cd, but there was an extra bit only the dreamcast could read, they held 1gb

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Well Yoshi's Boxx has a separate drive for each system, and each drive is from the actual console, so you could probably put a drive from each console you want onto your own mod. But making this mod would be extremely difficult. You would need a switch where the video can be sent out from all of the consoles.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    hmm, interesting

http://mozcom.com/~sknkwrks/gdcontroller.html

they are in fact CDs, but they are written and read using a proprietary system. so it looks like you would definitely have to use the "GD-Rom" controller board at the very least least... but it might be possible to use a generic drive? *shrug*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast