Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can i get an ISP service of another country?

AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    You can't upload through satellite connection, so don't bother. Just get a seedbox.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    A seedbox is your own server somewhere on the internet usually with a 10/10 or 100/100 MBit/s connection where you can run a BitTorrent client. There are of course limitations like free harddisk space (on virtual servers this might become a problem) or traffic limits per month (depending on the rented box you'll have limits of several hundred GB's or maybe 1-2 TB's, more traffic generally costs more).

But there are already hundreds of threads on that topic, I believe you'll find plenty with the keyword seedbox

Oh and before I forget it, there do exist satellite internet connections with uplink also. Well, I know one that's already open for the public, its name is Tooway. As you can see though, the available packages are not nearly enough to be satisfying, not counting the high setup costs (400 €).

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    well, i get the point - I need a seedbox if i want to increase my down/up speeds and maintain a good ratio in private trackers.... but does a seedbox can be used as a substitute for an isp or in conjunction with one? can it be used for more than just transfering data, like browsing the internet and stuff?

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    The speed of your home connection is in no way affected by a seedbox. This expense grants you the possibility to remotely upload with very fast speeds - plus you can download directly from your seedbox as well.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    SiNa's Avatar Lucid Dreaming BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    The speed of your home connection is in no way affected by a seedbox. This expense grants you the possibility to remotely upload with very fast speeds - plus you can download directly from your seedbox as well.
    but its of no use except to have a good ratio on your tracker. you will have to download it AGAIN from your own isp download speed, which sucks.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    You can't upload with satellite connection so don't even bother checking prices and coverage.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by sina1260 View Post
    but its of no use except to have a good ratio on your tracker. you will have to download it AGAIN from your own isp download speed, which sucks.
    Right. But that all depends on your current connection speed, doesn't it? Take me for example, I have a 4096/512 dsl connection at home and I'd never need more than that because half of what I download gets deleted after a few days anyway. Edit: what I was trying to say is simply, that some connections have an okay downstream bandwidth but crappy upstream. One colleague of mine uses a local cable company for his internet access and he's got 2048/128 which is all kinds of wrong for BitTorrent or any other peer2peer network but it works for downloading without the need to share (which is Usenet in his case).

If that is true for you too, then Usenet might be a good idea too. The access is cheaper than any (good) seedbox you'll find and the companies of interest offer download flats. What little you don't find on newsservers you can easily download from some tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by AugustoP View Post
    You can't upload with satellite connection so don't even bother checking prices and coverage.
    Is that a technical issue (if so, tell us about it because I have no experience with sat uplink) or are you just discouraging it because the offers are so bad compared to other methods?
    Last edited by Daniel; 09-21-2007 at 01:19 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    SiNa's Avatar Lucid Dreaming BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustoP View Post
    isnt this satelite connection: http://www.starband.com/services/ultimate.html

i have seen many others too. but they are way too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Right. But that all depends on your current connection speed, doesn't it? Take me for example, I have a 4096/512 dsl connection at home and I'd never need more than that because half of what I download gets deleted after a few days anyway. Edit: what I was trying to say is simply, that some connections have an okay downstream bandwidth but crappy upstream. One colleague of mine uses a local cable company for his internet access and he's got 2048/128 which is all kinds of wrong for BitTorrent or any other peer2peer network but it works for downloading without the need to share (which is Usenet in his case).
    well maybe for you its good and you are willing to pay just to get a good ratio on a tracker. but for me and probably shishio64 i/we need to change the whole thing. upload and download. cause what i get here is not reasonable. and i do not have a fast download speed so seedbox is pretty useless.
    Last edited by SiNa; 09-21-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by bblogs View Post
    I'm on satellite and there's nothing excellent about it.....20kb/s max upload for me

Not to mention that I can't get connectable
    do you live in the bush?

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Satellite speeds aren't very fast from what I've seen your looking at 1.5mbps dl and 256kbps ul. There also very expensive running around $80 a month and then you have equipment and installation fees. If you have no alternative then there you go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast