Thread: Free Ebooks (.lit) From Microsoft

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Microsoft is giving away free eBooks throughout the summer in MS Reader format. 60 best-selling Books (supposedly) will be distributed for next 20 weeks starting today. Keep in mind you must have a MS Passport account (hotmail) and you must have MS Reader installed and activated before you can download any titles. Also, this will encode DRM (Digital Rights Management) on the ebook to the specified Passport account, which will prevents you from sharing it with your friends. Of course, you can always do a Google search for a tiny command line program called Convert Lit if you hate DRM. And yes, I'm still a cheap bastard!

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/promotions/free_shop.asp

Look for these best-selling titles in the coming weeks: The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard, The Sinister Pig by Toby Hillerman, and The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood.

Current downloads July 4, 2003:

Candy & Me
    by Hillary Liftin
    from Simon & Schuster, Inc.

As a seven-year-old child, Hilary Liftin poured herself a glass (or two) of powdered sugar. Those forbidden cups soon escalated to pound bags of candy corn and multiple packets of dry cocoa mix, launching the epic love affair between Hilary and all things sweet. In Candy and Me: A Love Story, Liftin chronicles her life through candy memories and milestones. As a high school student, Hilary used candy to get through track meets, bad hair days, after-school jobs, and her first not-so-great love. Her sweet tooth followed her to college, where she tried to suppress the crackle of Smarties wrappers in morning classes. Through life's highs and lows, her devotion has never crashed -- candy has been a constant companion and a refuge that sustained her. As Liftin recounts her record-setting candy consumption, loves and friendships unfold in a funny and heartbreaking series of bittersweet revelations and restorative meditations. Hilary survives a profound obsession with jelly beans and a camp counselor, a forgettable fling with Skittles at a dot-com, and a messy breakup healed by a friendship forged over Circus Peanuts. Through thick and thin, sweet and sour, Hilary confronts the challenges of conversation hearts and the vagaries of boyfriends, searching for that perfect balance of love and sugar. Written with a fresh dry humor that will immediately absorb you into Liftin's sweet obsessions and remind you of your own, Candy and Me unwraps the meaning found in the universal desire for connection and confection. Treat yourself to Candy and Me -- being bad never read so good.

Last to Die
    by James Grippando
    from HarperCollins Publishers Inc.

Miami criminal attorney Jack Swyteck is back (The Pardon; Beyond Suspicion). His best friend's brother, ex-thug Tatum Knight, stands to inherit a fortune -- $48 million -- if four other people die. Now Jack has to find out if his client is an innocent man or a killer.

A Short History of Nearly Everything
    by Bill Bryson
    from Broadway

Bill Bryson is one of the world's most beloved and bestselling writers. In A Short History of Nearly Everything, he takes his ultimate journey–into the most intriguing and consequential questions that science seeks to answer. It's a dazzling quest, the intellectual odyssey of a lifetime, as this insatiably curious writer attempts to understand everything that has transpired from the Big Bang to the rise of civilization. Or, as the author puts it, “…how we went from there being nothing at all to there being something, and then how a little of that something turned into us, and also what happened in between and since.” This is, in short, a tall order. To that end, Bill Bryson apprenticed himself to a host of the world's most profound scientific minds, living and dead.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    If it's free, then everyone rushes to get the file.

*Me goes to download evrything there.*

3. Lounge   -   #3
    iamtheoneandonlyone's Avatar Andromeda Ascendant
    Ok then. Better have some sci-fi books. *Runs to get some*

4. Lounge   -   #4
    chalkmongoose
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@5 July 2003 - 02:21
    Microsoft is giving away free eBooks throughout the summer in MS Reader format. 60 best-selling Books (supposedly) will be distributed for next 20 weeks starting today. Keep in mind you must have a MS Passport account (hotmail) and you must have MS Reader installed and activated before you can download any titles. Also, this will encode DRM (Digital Rights Management) on the ebook to the specified Passport account, which will prevents you from sharing it with your friends. Of course, you can always do a Google search for a tiny command line program called Convert Lit if you hate DRM. And yes, I'm still a cheap bastard!

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/promotions/free_shop.asp

Look for these best-selling titles in the coming weeks: The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard, The Sinister Pig by Toby Hillerman, and The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood.

Current downloads July 4, 2003:

Candy & Me
    by Hillary Liftin
    from Simon & Schuster, Inc.

As a seven-year-old child, Hilary Liftin poured herself a glass (or two) of powdered sugar. Those forbidden cups soon escalated to pound bags of candy corn and multiple packets of dry cocoa mix, launching the epic love affair between Hilary and all things sweet. In Candy and Me: A Love Story, Liftin chronicles her life through candy memories and milestones. As a high school student, Hilary used candy to get through track meets, bad hair days, after-school jobs, and her first not-so-great love. Her sweet tooth followed her to college, where she tried to suppress the crackle of Smarties wrappers in morning classes. Through life's highs and lows, her devotion has never crashed -- candy has been a constant companion and a refuge that sustained her. As Liftin recounts her record-setting candy consumption, loves and friendships unfold in a funny and heartbreaking series of bittersweet revelations and restorative meditations. Hilary survives a profound obsession with jelly beans and a camp counselor, a forgettable fling with Skittles at a dot-com, and a messy breakup healed by a friendship forged over Circus Peanuts. Through thick and thin, sweet and sour, Hilary confronts the challenges of conversation hearts and the vagaries of boyfriends, searching for that perfect balance of love and sugar. Written with a fresh dry humor that will immediately absorb you into Liftin's sweet obsessions and remind you of your own, Candy and Me unwraps the meaning found in the universal desire for connection and confection. Treat yourself to Candy and Me -- being bad never read so good.

Last to Die
    by James Grippando
    from HarperCollins Publishers Inc.

Miami criminal attorney Jack Swyteck is back (The Pardon; Beyond Suspicion). His best friend's brother, ex-thug Tatum Knight, stands to inherit a fortune -- $48 million -- if four other people die. Now Jack has to find out if his client is an innocent man or a killer.

A Short History of Nearly Everything
    by Bill Bryson
    from Broadway

Bill Bryson is one of the world's most beloved and bestselling writers. In A Short History of Nearly Everything, he takes his ultimate journey–into the most intriguing and consequential questions that science seeks to answer. It's a dazzling quest, the intellectual odyssey of a lifetime, as this insatiably curious writer attempts to understand everything that has transpired from the Big Bang to the rise of civilization. Or, as the author puts it, “…how we went from there being nothing at all to there being something, and then how a little of that something turned into us, and also what happened in between and since.” This is, in short, a tall order. To that end, Bill Bryson apprenticed himself to a host of the world's most profound scientific minds, living and dead.
    I don't care how bad the books are, I'm off to download 'em, so I can rip 'em using my copy of clit and make a cd rom of Microsoft sponsered PDFS!

5. Lounge   -   #5
    chalkmongoose
    I just looked at what I wrote... I need help... Call K-Liters Anonymous....

6. Lounge   -   #6
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    interesting... sounds like a columbia house cd offer.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    seems like fun