Thread: Does anyone use Agent v2.0?

Hi,

Does anyone use the older version of Forte Agent v2.0? I can not find the newer version so i use older. Who cares at least i have a news group. How do i configure Agent? How do i set it so it won't go offline unless i put it offline? How do i download using it? Is Agent very big for downloading older movies? Where would i find the older movies at?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Don't use Agent 2.0 because it will stop decoding yEnc multiparts at the first missing or corrupted segment, a serious bug that was fixed in 3.0 .

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaman View Post
    Don't use Agent 2.0 because it will stop decoding yEnc multiparts at the first missing or corrupted segment, a serious bug that was fixed in 3.0 .
    OK, how good is Agent 3 3 846? I am downloading that but not sure if it will work because sometimes i get an invalid serial. If that version is good then will you or someone else and my original post with the questions?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Here is a guide: http://www.slyck.com/agent.php

alt.binaries.multimedia.vintage-film
    alt.binaries.multimedia.vintage-film.post-1960
    alt.binaries.multimedia.classic-films
    Last edited by mesaman; 09-24-2007 at 04:24 AM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    i used agent for more than 5 years, and then about 3 years ago started having some problems with it. i went to a forum similar to this one asking for advice, and i started off by saying - please don't tell me to get something different, because i like agent and i don't want to have to learn to use a new interface.
    naturally, every one who answered told me to use something else b/c agent sucks for binaries

well, they were right.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I've been using various versions of Agent since it first appeared as Free Agent (in the early 90s?). It's always been good for text groups but sometimes it's been a bit behind the times for binaries. It seems to have caught up now with version 4.2, which I've been using for several months. Now that it's got NZB support I can see nothing wrong with it.

I've also tried NewsBin Pro v5.35 and Giganews v5.3.1. recently. I didn't like user interface of Giganews at all, probably just a personal thing. Newsbin was OK, but didn't seem to have quite as many features as Agent. There were a few things that that it couldn't do that Agent could, some of which I'd gotten use to with earlier versions of Agent. I don't think there's much to choose between Agent and Newsbin. It probably comes down to personal preference.

I'd like to know why people say that Agent sucks for binaries because, as a long time user of newsgroups, I can find nothing wrong with it. It certainly doesn't have a problem with missing parts now, and handles multipart messages faultlessly.