Thread: Newbie question

Hey guys,

I'm a torrent guy, wanting to make the switch to newsgroups. (want faster downloads, dont want to worry about ratios etc..)

I'm just wondering about quality of the files I'm getting. I really liked demonoid because there would be pages and pages of comments for each download, with reputable users saying either:

A) it works great!, virus free.. etc..

or

B) didnt work for me, has a virus, sound cuts out, sync is off, etc..etc..

I could base my decisions on stuff like that.

Is there something like this with newsgroups that I'm not aware of? How do I know I'm not downloading crap?

Another thing I liked about torrents is that there are divx movies that are ripped by a guy called axxo. He uploads every new release, and every movie is 10/10 quality... basically if you see that axxo upped it, you know u can trust it.

I'm looking for something similar, but in newsgroups. How will I know which NZB to download? do crap files get removed somehow?

For example, the NZB section on this site is great. People post them, and everyone gets to discuss the quality.. thats what I'm looking for. But this site is obviously limited, compared to whats out there.

Can anyone help a newb out? =)

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    http://www.newzbin.com/

You need to subscribe for comments. Browsing is free.

If you need free

http://www.merlins-portal.net

Another worthwhile site is

http://www.nfo-underground.com/

Mainly in German but they have sub section for English films and the site I am told is to go live in English soon. I am sure there are many others but thats what I use in conjunction with binsearch and altbinz.
    Last edited by Windy72; 09-28-2007 at 10:38 PM.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    If you are worried about quality you could use sites like vcdquality.com
    They list the release, and the release-group and give various information about the quality of the release.

Other than that,
    I stay away from anything that's not a retail DVD rip. I want top quality!!

There really is a whole different mind set when you download from newsgroups. There's no ratios so it doesn't matter how much you download and the speed at which things can be grabbed in mind blowing. Every once in awhile I may download a shit release but it's no big deal. I can grab and entire DVD in under half an hour.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny2200 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm a torrent guy, wanting to make the switch to newsgroups. (want faster downloads, dont want to worry about ratios etc..)

I'm just wondering about quality of the files I'm getting. I really liked demonoid because there would be pages and pages of comments for each download, with reputable users saying either:

A) it works great!, virus free.. etc..

or

B) didnt work for me, has a virus, sound cuts out, sync is off, etc..etc..

I could base my decisions on stuff like that.

Is there something like this with newsgroups that I'm not aware of? How do I know I'm not downloading crap?

Another thing I liked about torrents is that there are divx movies that are ripped by a guy called axxo. He uploads every new release, and every movie is 10/10 quality... basically if you see that axxo upped it, you know u can trust it.

I'm looking for something similar, but in newsgroups. How will I know which NZB to download? do crap files get removed somehow?

For example, the NZB section on this site is great. People post them, and everyone gets to discuss the quality.. thats what I'm looking for. But this site is obviously limited, compared to whats out there.

Can anyone help a newb out? =)
    first axxo rips hist stuff from newsgroups reduces the quality from 1.5gb to 700mb and no this site is not limited its one of the best sites on the net

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Dean141's Avatar Razer
    I used to use torrents alot and i went to newsgroups at first i thought wow the free servers have got all i need but then i noticed alot of the files i wanted were going to other groups like two weeks in advanced so i signed up for a couple of paid servers and ive stuck with

http://www.thundernews.com

There fast and dependable and as for searching for files as windy said there some good sites http://newzleech.com/ thats another one by the way

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    What you get on torrents, you get on usenet too, they are after all scene releases right? and what I tend to do is watch (or refresh) page 1 of my torrent sites to see what is out, when I see something I would normally download, check the filename of the torrent and search usenet, I am very rarely disappointed, the only thing usenet lacks is some of the apps on torrents.

But you also get extras on usenet, there are some that create DVDs from TV Eps, they go to the trouble of putting 4 eps of the current TV best shows onto 1 DVD for us to download!

Eventually you get to trust usenet as much as you trust your current source, but you won't have to keep seeding till you die!

Just keep asking the questions, and you will get knowledgeable replies.