Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: Vista Ultimate

brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fstrulz View Post

All geeks once were n00bs.

Yes. What's your point? It wasn't an insult. I said it was cute.
    I't makes me happy when people try out another OS.

Blind loyalty to any product or platform is very limiting
    (see: Mac fags).

Good luck.

-bd

2. Lounge   -   #102

Maybe because 4 viewports/desktops is just enough for most users...

Yeah you set that in the KDE control centre, look for multiple desktops you can have any number up to 10, by default, although most users only ever use one or two, and if I remember correctly KDE defaults to 4.

lestiff (mwm) is settable in the system.mwmrc file, which is the system wide config file for it, or you can set it in a .mwmrc file in your $HOME.

Gnome is changable, although I haven't used it in a long time so I can't remember how. In fact I think most of them are changeable with the possible exception of twm... and we'll not talk about twm if it's alright with you

I really don't get the attraction of the cube, as far as I can see it's just eye candy.

3. Lounge   -   #103
    That's the point, mate. Some people want to get their feet wet, and would like the eye candy of Windows Vista; without the inherent problems involved with running that OS.

To each their own.

-bd

4. Lounge   -   #104
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by manicgeek View Post

I really don't get the attraction of the cube, as far as I can see it's just eye candy.
    The attraction is that its innovative and people go "ooh" and "ahh" upon seeing it. Most of which are Windows users.

I'm a linux newbie myself and I admit one of the big reasons i tried out ubuntu a week ago is because of the cube effects. A week later, I've disabled the effects yet made Linux my permanent home.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

5. Lounge   -   #105
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie View Post
    That's the point, mate. Some people want to get their feet wet, and would like the eye candy of Windows Vista; without the inherent problems involved with running that OS.

To each their own.
    Vista has eye candy??? Well maybe if you have a high-end PC, then you'll enjoy its memory-hogging crappy 3D effects.

For me, the great thing about Linux, specifically Ubuntu, is that it works flawlessly (including that 3D thing - Beryl/Compiz) in my old Pentium III PC... Can M$ Windows do that? No.

6. Lounge   -   #106
    I swore never to use Linux again, at least until a former member of this forum returns
    (shn...you could of been the love of my life).

True story.

-bd

7. Lounge   -   #107
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100

All geeks once were n00bs.
    Yes. What's your point? It wasn't an insult. I said it was cute.
    I't makes me happy when people try out another OS.

Blind loyalty to any product or platform is very limiting
    (see: Mac fags).

Good luck.
    Sorry, I forgot to put a smiley face in the end of my sentence.

8. Lounge   -   #108

To each their own.
    Vista has eye candy??? Well maybe if you have a high-end PC, then you'll enjoy its memory-hogging crappy 3D effects.

For me, the great thing about Linux, specifically Ubuntu, is that it works flawlessly (including that 3D thing - Beryl/Compiz) in my old Pentium III PC... Can M$ Windows do that? No.

Why are you so defensive. I've already stated that fact.

-bd

9. Lounge   -   #109
    Quote Originally Posted by DefX View Post
    The attraction is that its innovative and people go "ooh" and "ahh" upon seeing it. Most of which are Windows users.

I'm a linux newbie myself and I admit one of the big reasons i tried out ubuntu a week ago is because of the cube effects. A week later, I've disabled the effects yet made Linux my permanent home.
    Ah! That's good I like that. Getting people to at least try and see if it's any good for them is as good a reason as I can think of, thank you.

10. Lounge   -   #110
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    Quote Originally Posted by DefX View Post
    Download the OS, burn it to a disk, boot from it in startup and you can test drive the OS from the live CD without installing anything in your system.

If you're ready to install, just click on the "install" icon on the live cd desktop.
    Thanks for that.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast