Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Uk...

Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    [
    Who said it was a state. The two aren't analogous. The Vatican City is a state however I wouldn't describe it as a country.

Oh and Wales doesn't have a Parliament, I don't know what makes you think that.

I think it's really a matter for you to prove your contention that
    Wales is not a Country, rather than for other people to prove it is.
    An assembly then...semantics . The fact still remains that it still has to clear it's decisions through London, and isn't completely independent of England. I've laid out my evidence.....now it's your turn.

2. Lounge   -   #22

If it was "merged" that would mean that England had never achieved it's independence either. I don't think we can accept that, can we.
    It was absorbed by England. The result is that England is still a country but Wales is a principality of it. That's what I've always known the situation to be.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    [
    Who said it was a state. The two aren't analogous. The Vatican City is a state however I wouldn't describe it as a country.

Oh and Wales doesn't have a Parliament, I don't know what makes you think that.

I think it's really a matter for you to prove your contention that
    Wales is not a Country, rather than for other people to prove it is.
    An assembly then...semantics . The fact still remains that it still has to clear it's decisions through London, and isn't completely independent of England. I've laid out my evidence.....now it's your turn.
    Something being fundamentally wrong is not semantics. The Welsh assembly is not a Parliament and has no powers to legislate or raise taxes.

It is ruled by the UK Parliament, so is England. It is ruled over by the monarch of the UK, so is England. There is no fundamental difference between England and Wales, in fact that is what you are called, England and Wales as per the Act of Union. So if you wish to argue that Wales is a principality within the UK then you must also accept that England is the same. By your own words they are merged. Unless you can show me something to the contrary.

Indeed that would mean Scotland, by having it's own Parliament with devolved powers, in addition to electing MPs to rule over England and Wales is the only truly separate Country within the UK.

Works for me.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Now go away.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Beenieman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    I think Wales is part of England but not in the official sense, It has it's own National Football Team and even though it's a shit team it still proves that Wales is seen as a Country in it's own right. I think we will see Scotland breakaway before we see Wales Become offcially seperated from England though.
    Rent this space

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenieman View Post
    I think Wales is part of England but not in the official sense, It has it's own National Football Team and even though it's a shit team it still proves that Wales is seen as a Country in it's own right. I think we will see Scotland breakaway before we see Wales Become offcially seperated from England though.
    Or indeed vice versa.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    [
    Something being fundamentally wrong is not semantics. The Welsh assembly is not a Parliament and has no powers to legislate or raise taxes.

It is ruled by the UK Parliament, so is England. It is ruled over by the monarch of the UK, so is England. There is no fundamental difference between England and Wales, in fact that is what you are called, England and Wales as per the Act of Union. So if you wish to argue that Wales is a principality within the UK then you must also accept that England is the same. By your own words they are merged. Unless you can show me something to the contrary.

Indeed that would mean Scotland, by having it's own Parliament with devolved powers, in addition to electing MPs to rule over England and Wales is the only truly separate Country within the UK.

Works for me.
    It was semantics in that it was a slip of the tongue not intended to raise the points you mention.

Wales is most definitely defined as a principality by the looks of things, but the question remains, is it a country as well? I would suggest that because Wales was absorbed by England and all of its infrastructure (as it was) was subject to the laws of England when that happened, that it has never been a separate country. England may have absorbed Wales, but none of its laws or behaviours changed when it did so.....Wales's however did.

Subsequently, both England and Wales became part of the UK and both became subject to UK law.....so it would be reasonable to say I guess, that at that time Wales became a principality of the UK rather than England.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenieman View Post
    Probably.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Beenieman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    They seem to have a better nhs up scotland too and they are willing to spend more on live saving drugs than down here in England, Anyway that was offtopic lol.
    Rent this space

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Mmmm, a point was made on another board recently that I hadn't considered. Scotland only has a set amount of money in the pot. If they want to create a more generous NHS or have free University education then something somewhere will have to give. It's a case of shuttling the money around where you think it's needed most. So, something somewhere else will have to suffer for it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast