Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xp Icons

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I have been fooling around with my desktop and would like to make some custom icons.

I already have a program to convert photos into .ico files ( whatever the hell they are&#33 so that's not a problem.

Windows seems to have some sort if size limiter built in and I'd like to know if I can supercede it. I have already made the icon I wish to use and it's on the desktop, but the size is too small. No matter the size I create, Windows reduces it.

Does anyone know how to work around this?

Thanks.

PS- The OS is windows XP Home.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by clocker@5 July 2003 - 22:44
    I have been fooling around with my desktop and would like to make some custom icons.

I already have a program to convert photos into .ico files ( whatever the hell they are&#33 so that's not a problem.

Windows seems to have some sort if size limiter built in and I'd like to know if I can supercede it. I have already made the icon I wish to use and it's on the desktop, but the size is too small. No matter the size I create, Windows reduces it.

Does anyone know how to work around this?

Thanks.

PS- The OS is windows XP Home.
    You need Windows Blinds etc.Applications that allow you to customise the themes, cursors, taskbar, wallpaper, screensaver,icons, etc. to anything you want, at anytime. B)
    Read all about it even download at wincustomize.com.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks for the response, Poonkie, but I'm not looking to reskin my desktop or import custom icon packs.

Somewhere, buried deep within Windows, is a command which is reforming my icon to some preset size.
    I would like to know how to change that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Clocker!
    Look for a program called Microangelo.
    It may help you as well.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Isn't there an item in the tool bar properties to set the icon size? I've seen it , I just can't remember exactly where.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    S&A,
    Microangelo is another tool to make icons and the like. It looks pretty cool, but I already have the icon I'd like to use.

Balamm,
    I can find an option to pick between large and small icons, but that's it.

This is not a critical problem to me, but I'm now getting more curious about how to do it.
    Basically, I've bundled a lot of shortcuts together and want to access them through one desktop icon.
    For example the desktop icon "Media" takes me to the shortcuts to "Movies", "Music", "Video", etc.
    I'd like this icon to be rather larger than the standard desktop icon. In fact it's a cool b&w photo of Katherine Hepburn aprox. 125x100 pixels in size. (I'd post a pic but PicStore is FUBAR at the moment).
    I have already processed the image into a .ico file and it will go to the desktop just fine except that somehow Windows is automatically resizing it to about 40 pixels tall.
    I am not all that savvy about the nuts and bolts so if I can't find an easy explanation of how to do this it won't break my heart, but I 'll bet someone out there can tell me.

Maybe I'll e-mail BlackViper.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I saw a way once on how to use 100x100 or so icons. Don't remember where i found it though

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I wonder if it might be easier to just put a folder on the desktop to contain your other shortcuts and then customise that folder with your new icon instead of just a shortcut icon. I think the folder options might be a little easier to find info on and work with.

Any thing above Win2k should support that kind of folder customisation. I've used it many times to get an extremely clean desktop.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Or if you got some time on your hands, you can create an active desktop page using dhtml. Just display the pictures on the background and hyperlink them.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by balamm@6 July 2003 - 03:54
    Isn't there an item in the tool bar properties to set the icon size? I've seen it , I just can't remember exactly where.
    taskbar and start menu>start menu>customize............but don`t think this is what he is after. Realized that after next post. Apologies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast