Thread: Mail failure notice attack

Hi, I have a m,major problem. Suddenly today when I check emails it says there are anything from 500 to 1000 emails waiting. When they dl they are all Mail system delivery failure notice emails and when I look at them they are addressed all to my addy but different before the @. What can I do about this, I have run adaware and done a system scan with Nod, don't know what else to do.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Im assuming your running your own mail server. its probably some bot trying to randomly send you spam to accounts on your machine.

Just ignore it.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Thanks mate, seems to have sorted itself now as when I switched on this morn there were only 4. I was dreading thousands. lol

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    This is what is know as a "joe job".

Internet email generally does not authenticate the From: address.

It is usually possible to send someone an email with a From: address of [email protected]

Some people have filters on their incoming email that check if the email address given as the From: address actually accepts email.
    To get around that spammers send email with other peoples real email addresses as the From: address.

The internet email system was designed in the 1970's when the internet was just used by universitys and the US military. If you had a problem due to some other system you could probably get a real person on the phone who looked after that system.

Joe jobs are a paticular problem for people with their own domains and email set up to receive mail to any address at that domain.

I shifted my domains to a hosting company with advanced email fitlering using dedicated hardware from an antispam company a few months ago because this kind of thing was getting rediculous.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.