Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranking system?

p1r4t3's Avatar More drama? ffs BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p1r4t3 View Post
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...newbies-219707

Check the first page of that thread...
    I did already, though it was just another discussion thread.

The last edit to the thread was 6 hours it was made, ffs. It certainly wasn't a valid attempt to initiate a counter to the WIAW thread.
    It was a start and wasnt noticed. The WIAW thread was maintained because it had inputs from various users too. It had the advantage of being a first as well. When I made this thread, the forum was full of traders, as it is today and most of them ignored it over the existing thread.

I eventually gave up over it....and as a result it died. Had it more input and involvement it could have grown into a thread that could counter the wiaw.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by p1r4t3 View Post

I did already, though it was just another discussion thread.

The last edit to the thread was 6 hours it was made, ffs. It certainly wasn't a valid attempt to initiate a counter to the WIAW thread.
    It was a start and wasnt noticed. The WIAW thread was maintained because it had inputs from various users too. It had the advantage of being a first as well. When I made this thread, the forum was full of traders, as it is today and most of them ignored it over the existing thread.

I eventually gave up over it....and as a result it died. Had it more input and involvement it could have grown into a thread that could counter the wiaw.
    You gave up after 6 hours? What did you expect, immediate change?

yo

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    I've always thought that the WIAW was the main problem here, but I guess the real problem is trading itself. let me explain my point of view.

The WIAW gives a lot of valuable info about trackers. It has a lot of useful reviews on almost every tracker, regarding contents, speed, etc. and not only on rarity. The main problem here is that people read that it shouldn't be taken literal, but do it anyways.

Mods invest most a lot of time (from what i read here) as middleman and catching and reporting scammers. Also, as PF said, nobody would consider the quality of a tracker when trading, only rarity.

IMO, the solution to all of this is to disallow trading. There would be many benefits from this: mods would have less duties regarding mm and scammers would simply go away if they weren't allowed to trade here (=less moding needed in the report section); we (fst) would have a better name as we enforce trackers' rules against trading, and CR wont tell you in their irc that fst is a shitty place or simply disable you for being a member here; etc.

If trading were abolished, we wouldn't have to discuss the need to have another WIAW thread. The one we have is ok, and people have invested great amounts of their time to keep it up to date. The main problem with it is that people use it as a guideline to break trackers' rules (aka trading) instead of a source of info, as they should.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaffeine View Post
    I've always thought that the WIAW was the main problem here, but I guess the real problem is trading itself. let me explain my point of view.

The WIAW gives a lot of valuable info about trackers. It has a lot of useful reviews on almost every tracker, regarding contents, speed, etc. and not only on rarity. The main problem here is that people read that it shouldn't be taken literal, but do it anyways.

Mods invest most a lot of time (from what i read here) as middleman and catching and reporting scammers. Also, as PF said, nobody would consider the quality of a tracker when trading, only rarity.

IMO, the solution to all of this is to disallow trading. There would be many benefits from this: mods would have less duties regarding mm and scammers would simply go away if they weren't allowed to trade here (=less moding needed in the report section); we (fst) would have a better name as we enforce trackers' rules against trading, and CR wont tell you in their irc that fst is a shitty place or simply disable you for being a member here; etc.

If trading were abolished, we wouldn't have to discuss the need to have another WIAW thread. The one we have is ok, and people have invested great amounts of their time to keep it up to date. The main problem with it is that people use it as a guideline to break trackers' rules (aka trading) instead of a source of info, as they should.
    This attitude of "FST is based on screwing over trackers" really bothers me.

This implies that not only this is our goal, but that we don't give a damn about trackers and their wishes.

Believe it or not, there actually trackers out there who are begrudged since their tracker isn't listed in the WIAW thread. There are even more who have voiced that they could care less what their members do with invites. With that being said, that is why we do not ban trading. What we have done for those trackers who wish that their accounts not be traded, we have offered all of them who are Community Reps to report any thread which involves accounts from their tracker being traded, and we will stop the trades. Simple as that. No catch. Fact is, only a couple choose to do so.

As for the content rankings and why there isn't one - what have you (Joe Public) done to foster this idea of a content based "WIAW" style thread since it appears to be important to you? What is first in our minds is FST. Making sure the forum is still a good source of help for it's users. Keeping it that way is important. Thanks to the efforts of many, it enjoys a good reputation overall and is regarded favorably by most who participate. Changing the rules overnight to suit the needs of others, all the while going against the tide is not the way to do things. We do want to get to some common ground, but sudden radical changes is far from an ideal method.

Let's face facts here - if we stopped allowing all trading tomorrow, those traders would simply go to another one of many forums which have directly copied the WIAW thread and trading would continue as usual. I think that's a given. The proper way to induce change is to show them a better method.

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    This attitude of "FST is based on screwing over trackers" really bothers me.

This implies that not only this is our goal, but that we don't give a damn about trackers and their wishes.

Believe it or not, there actually trackers out there who are begrudged since their tracker isn't listed in the WIAW thread. There are even more who have voiced that they could care less what their members do with invites. With that being said, that is why we do not ban trading. What we have done for those trackers who wish that their accounts not be traded, we have offered all of them who are Community Reps to report any thread which involves accounts from their tracker being traded, and we will stop the trades. Simple as that. No catch. Fact is, only a couple choose to do so.

As for the content rankings and why there isn't one - what have you (Joe Public) done to foster this idea of a content based "WIAW" style thread since it appears to be important to you? What is first in our minds is FST. Making sure the forum is still a good source of help for it's users. Keeping it that way is important. Thanks to the efforts of many, it enjoys a good reputation overall and is regarded favorably by most who participate. Changing the rules overnight to suit the needs of others, all the while going against the tide is not the way to do things. We do want to get to some common ground, but sudden radical changes is far from an ideal method.

Let's face facts here - if we stopped allowing all trading tomorrow, those traders would simply go to another one of many forums which have directly copied the WIAW thread and trading would continue as usual. I think that's a given. The proper way to induce change is to show them a better method.
    Regarding FST rep, I don't know if you're referring to me specifically or in general. I just commented on that point based on many threads i've read about this.

I love FST. what really bothers me is to hear this attitude from other people and some CR in some irc channels and other forums towards FST, and would like to see a change in the attitude towards FST from external sources, but as you say, a drastic change is not the way either.

As some have said here, little we know what's happening in the background. I've never said the mod's work being done here is bad or suggested so. And it's good to know some measures are taken to protect tracker's wishes to disallow specific trades (too bad it gives an overhead to mod's work)

I believe that another WIAW is not necessary if taken the right steps against trading. But seeing this is not happening anytime soon (for the reasons you state), I guess you're right in that should be another content like WIAW thread, it would had to be created and maintained by all of us, and not just put it in mods hands.

If trading were disallowed at FST, traders and scammers doing it elsewhere wouldn't be our problem, it would be the other forums'.

But I guess the most important point is your last sentence, as this is a problem of education and values: "show them a better method"

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    kirktrix's Avatar Killing Zone BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Sorry for my bad english:

Just an opinion....I've been here for almost 7 months and there is a lot of change in that span of time..
    Members here are now separated by two opinions anti trading account and pro. we have now many members that don't want to trade.and rep points are now not reliable..
    Many trackers are now limiting the giveaways and trading of their invites...

I remember last time that someone suggest to have a different section for trading and freebies... if you want to have another WIAW thread maybe it's time to consider this suggestion..

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...es-free-177374

It is just an opinion... I know it's a very hard work but maybe this will help changing some problems here in FST.... Thank you.
    "Death is the result of weakness. The strong are the only ones who survive."

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    i cannot read the link, but i would love a section for non traders.
    i made pretty good experiences with non trading forums when it comes to invites.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    There is, it the ATG, but you have to be invited or recommended (so I've heard, i'm not there myself, but would like to someday)
    Last edited by kaffeine; 10-01-2007 at 04:50 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    really i dont think you could ever fixs the ranking system, and i say this because traders and invite traders us the ranking the wrong way..

I watch the invite section alot and 1 thing i have seen is some of the same guys trading invites and accounts for the same sites. 1 guy in 1 week for 2 accounts at the same site. Not sure if he was going to use it to trade for something else and keep 1 or if he was keeping both accounts because he is a huge leech and knows 1 will get banned or is a known cheater and knows it will get banned. This is the main reason everyone watches this site and bans many users from here. This site getting worse name every day because of what goes on here.

Wild

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by kaffeine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    There is, it the ATG, but you have to be invited or recommended (so I've heard, i'm not there myself, but would like to someday)
    what is atg? could you please explain this?

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast