Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iraq And Al Qaeda

TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by j2k4+9 July 2003 - 16:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 9 July 2003 - 16:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheDave@9 July 2003 - 11:19
    doesnt al-qaeda make an enemy of Saddam&#39;s regime for some of the same reasons they oppose the western world
    If they do, it is definitely not for the same reasons, and is also not to any degree approaching their hatred, not of the western world per se, but of the U.S., as it is perceived as constituting the "western world".

Let&#39;s be perfectly clear: Where terrorists are concerned, western world=United States.

This is not to also mention the fact that (arab) blood is thicker than water.

BTW-there actually exist people who are surprised at the al Qaeda bombings in Saudi Arabia and Morocco.

A bit naive, I think? [/b][/quote]
    nice little bunch of contradictions you have their

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    How so, Dave?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    well, you say what i mean by western world is United states which it aint theyre against the whole thing particularly the US.

then you say (arab)blood is thicker than water, but people are suprised by the bombings in saudi arabia and morocco

im sorry i keep hitting reply with good arguements in mind then forget em

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by TheDave@9 July 2003 - 11:59
    well, you say what i mean by western world is United states which it aint theyre against the whole thing particularly the US.

then you say (arab)blood is thicker than water, but people are suprised by the bombings in saudi arabia and morocco

im sorry i keep hitting reply with good arguements in mind then forget em
    I see your point; sorry for the lack of clarity.

Let&#39;s try this:

If it weren&#39;t for the U.S., "western world" would be only an indicator as to geographic locale; nothing more.

I try here to point out the irony of citing people&#39;s opinion that, while all the parties involved are Arab, the supposition that they are "of a piece" is ultimately falacious; al Qaeda will strike even friends, if they perceive the need to "warn"-they are beholden to no one, and I think the Saudis, in particular, were surprised to find themselves targeted.

Does this help?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Let&#39;s be perfectly clear: Where terrorists are concerned, western world=United States.

j2k4,

I actually dont know whether to laugh or cry at this statement.

The USA has probably had less terrorism in its country than any other Western nation.

OK, there have been attacks abroad on many occasions, but same goes for the rest of us.

As to the link between Iraq/Al Qeada.....I never denied a link, just the spin.

The whitehouses own website said that Al Qeada training camps and members were hidden in the NORTH of Iraq...ie the area controlled by the Kurds, NOT Hussain.

So, was Hussain getting into bed with Al Qeada...and by default the Kurds?

Wasnt his treatment of the Kurds another argument for going to war?

Evidence "found in rubble" is the type of "evidence" that we are beginning to expect will be found.

Have you ever seen whats left of a building hit as hard as the Intelligence HQ was? There certainly would not be full "documentary evidence" lying around...just a little scrap of paper here and another there..mostly burnt almost beyond all recognition.

On the other matter of Sudan.....I have to agree that only total incompetance passes up the chance of intelligence in Government.

Its AFTER its received that you decide what value to place on it....even if disregarded entirely at the time (which would have been wrong) it would exist NOW, as the evidence needed for the link.

It looks to me, both here and also the intelligence leading up to 9/11, that the US administartion is interfering TOO much with the US security services, and totally screwing it up...this is a shame, as the CIA/FBI/NSA are the ones that get to carry the can for the ameteurs that are elected/appointed.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@9 July 2003 - 15:20

j2k4,

I actually dont know whether to laugh or cry at this statement.

The USA has probably had less terrorism in its country than any other Western nation.
    Once again, sorry for the lack of clarity:

As Israel is reserved a special "hatred" by terrorists, could it not be said the U.S., by virtue of it&#39;s alliance with Israel, is thought of similarly?

I didn&#39;t mean to imply the U.S. is the only target of western-directed terrorism, but I do think we more clearly personify what they seem to hate, especially since our urge to "interfere" is so intrusive.

We certainly haven&#39;t suffered the sheer numbers of incidents other countries have; 9/11 doesn&#39;t change that fact.

I don&#39;t recall your questioning the Iraq/al Qaeda link, Rat.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Reply bumping...

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@10 July 2003 - 00:38
    Reply bumping...

Thanks, MN.

I do like to stay squared away with Brother Rat-

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Poster
    I am in "the western world" and I am deffinately not American.

We have similar values but America takes them to an extreme other western countries are uncomfortable with, so claiming to be some sort of standard
    is quite arogant.
    America is not in the majority it is just the most powerful.
    that aside it must feel like your the BUT of it all.
    but in some ways America has provoked a lot of countries and it is for this reason
    America has become such a target. If you hold yourself up as the self appointed police of the planet then the "buck" stops with you.

It doesn&#39;t mean if America is targetted we aren&#39;t appaled because we are.
    Were just not supprised thats all.

Although the attack on the twin towers was so personal to America it doesn&#39;t mean it wasn&#39;t an attack on us all in the west.
    so specificall to this incident you have a point. but not in general.

Neil

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    J2k4,

If you are defining terrorism as "Islamic Fundamentalist" organisations only, then I&#39;d agree...USA and Israel have a special place in their hearts.

Terrorism generally though...no, USA has less than most.

I&#39;ve often questioned the link between Hussain and Al Qaeda, as they hate each other.....Hussain wasnt just a secular ruler (which is fundamentally opposed to Al Qaeda&#39;s beliefs, like every western democracy)...He was an ISLAMIC secular ruler, ie a Traitor to their version of Islam.

He was probably the only thing in the world that they hated MORE than USA/Israel..most terrorism in Iraq was carried out by Al Qaeda/Kurds.

Every "link" so far has been disproven...and I expect this will also be disproven (even if by an Investigative Reporter in 10 years...I remember the crap the CIA received off Bush when they disproved the "links" provided by Mossad, so i doubt they will try and disprove it themselves this time)

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast