Thread: Original Winxp Home On New Hard-drive

Poster
    I remember posting this before, but I can't remember what the replies were. So here goes:

I have an OEM version of Windows XP Home that I'm ucurrently using on my HDD, which is on the verge of dying , inconsistent start ups (seems to be losing memory too, makes my PC lag heaps, if you can troubleshoot that please reply too) so I decide to buy myself a brand new hard-drive.

But I was wondering whether Window XP Home can be installed on my new HDD and be verified as a full original working version on my new HDD...or whether the authentication will be successful if I were to install my OEM WinXP Home on the new HDD.

Thanks in Adv.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Is it an actually Windows XP install cd or is it a recovery disc? If it's an actual install cd you can install it fine on the new harddrive. Also, you might want to check to make sure your ram is still good. There are plenty of programs out there that can test your ram.

ps. BoA is cool

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Mine is an install disc, I read an article somewhere that some VolumeID of some sort is required for the OS to be installed on a brand new HDD or something, but then again that is if you don't wanna authenticate WinXP again I think.

And yes BoA is cool, only I lost a hot pic I had which was my avatar when the image host went down . I kinda prefer her music to her, she's not that hot after looking closer .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    as long as ur only gettin a new HDD it aint a problem........... if ud get a new video card, more ram, update ur bios and insert a new CPU ud b more likely 2 get problems.......... minor changes 2 the system r allowed, but changing 2 much will cause 2 it 2 "do the microsoft" and not work....... but in that case u can just call microsoft and tell em 2 isue u a new key (i assume u have a legal version since u have XP home)............
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ya, I like her music. Heh, I love my legit Windows XP Professional Corporate copy. No dealing with timebombs/activation

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Xilo@9 July 2003 - 19:17
    Ya, I like her music. Heh, I love my legit Windows XP Professional Corporate copy. No dealing with timebombs/activation
    I can't say I'm happy with WinXP Home (legit), but I think I'm better off now if I were to use a pirate copy of it. I never did use any of the updating utilities, windows update whatsoever....

Upgrading RAM screws up WinXP as well ?
    @Xilo Btw, Avatar's up, IMO that is the 2nd hottest pic of BoA, other than that she's ok looking

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Never used Windows Update?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Xilo@9 July 2003 - 19:25
    Never used Windows Update?
    Hardly, well you could say never. Don't see how those things could help except messing up or adding to the pile of files i have in windows folder, or what not.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by RedRival+9 July 2003 - 19:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RedRival @ 9 July 2003 - 19:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Xilo@9 July 2003 - 19:17
    Ya, I like her music.&nbsp; Heh, I love my legit Windows XP Professional Corporate copy.&nbsp; No dealing with timebombs/activation&nbsp;
    I can&#39;t say I&#39;m happy with WinXP Home (legit), but I think I&#39;m better off now if I were to use a pirate copy of it. I never did use any of the updating utilities, windows update whatsoever....

Upgrading RAM screws up WinXP as well ?
    @Xilo Btw, Avatar&#39;s up, IMO that is the 2nd hottest pic of BoA, other than that she&#39;s ok looking [/b][/quote]
    not really.......... but if u change 2 much in ur system @ 1ce, it will think ur illegally copying it, and ull need 2 reactivate it...........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it