Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incompletes on Verizon

my usenet feeds thru verizon have been very good in the past, but for the last few days i've had to dump 80% of what i began downloading due to a high percentage of incompletes.
    is anyone else having trouble with Verizon DSL?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    just repair the file using quik par

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    can't. way too many incompletes.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    ISP usenet services (an oxymoron?) have, and in general continue to be, pretty lame historically.

Get thee to a 'premium' server service; if you, from your usage level, don't need/want a full blown top-flight server (Giganews, et. al.), then get some block accounts to use for 'fills' and start chasing the parts you need/want. Astraweb is pretty good, and there are a couple of others like Usenet-News and Newsdome, but the number of places offering block accounts has almost dropped off the map in the last several years.

Most folks simply 'pay the man' up front.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    'pay the news-man'

Quote Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
    can't. way too many incompletes.
    have u even tried repairing them? download the pars and repair or use less connections
    Last edited by wickedsick; 10-03-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    ISP usenet services (an oxymoron?) have, and in general continue to be, pretty lame historically.

Get thee to a 'premium' server service; if you, from your usage level, don't need/want a full blown top-flight server (Giganews, et. al.), then get some block accounts to use for 'fills' and start chasing the parts you need/want. Astraweb is pretty good, and there are a couple of others like Usenet-News and Newsdome, but the number of places offering block accounts has almost dropped off the map in the last several years.

hmm. well, i may have to do that, but i'd rather not. i've had usenet service thru verizon since december 2003, and up until now i've been happy with it- very little problem with incomplete posts, and they don't seem to mind that i'm d/ling 10-20 Gb / day on average.

have u even tried repairing them? download the pars and repair or use less connections
    you apparently think i'm stupid or something? when 90+ % of the files are incomplete, there just aren't enough pars to complete the posts!
    if there were, i wouldn't be here bitching

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Has the file(s) been posted in other groups per chance?

If you post the filename, maybe I can find some extra PARs?

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    I know you would rather not switch to a paying server but you are missing out on a lot of content. Verizon dropped many high volume binary groups and is not adding any new groups. There are many cheap alternatives. Usenetserver being one of them, only 14.95 USD for unlimited with 101 day retention (much more VIA nzb) and a great completion rate. Also there are block account providers like beck mentioned that could help ya if the incompletes continue.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    n18's Avatar Death God
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post

Although I'm sure ISP usenet generally are rubbish, I am very satisfied with Road Runner usenet. Maxes out my connection 1.2mb/s and retention is quite decent too, oldest file i downloaded was 60 days old but retention could be longer ( 60 days is as far as i needed to go )

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
    you apparently think i'm stupid or something? when 90+ % of the files are incomplete, there just aren't enough pars to complete the posts!
    if there were, i wouldn't be here bitching
    FOOL dont talk shit to people who are trying to help you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast