Thread: Toshiba desktop replacement?

Poster
    My next PC is going to be a laptop, I'm most probably going to be spending a few months in London next year and I need a system that packs the same power as a high-spec desktop, but mobility. (Even if the thing weights 6kg.)

The laptop would be used for: DV and HDV editing, gaming and music production. Gaming is quite high priority, since it's been nearly four years since my last upgrade and this laptop would need to last another four. While gaming is a priority, graphics aren't really seeing as I run my games (out of habit) at 1024X768 with detail set to high, but AA and AF turned down.

The specs of a laptop that seems to suit me the most me is what the Alienware M170 is packing, but Alienware isn't availabe here in South Africa.

The Toshiba X200 series is the most powerful and readily available I can get my hands on in this country. This series has two models, the 15k and the new 21k.

The only difference (it seems) between the two is that the 21k has 2X Geforce 8600M GTs in SLI while the 15k only has one 8700mGT. For my gaming needs, would the 8700 suffice compared to the 8600 SLis?

Both models come with Vista already installed. Is it worth formatting as soon as I get it and start from scratch, with XP Pro or do you think I can request XP instead?

Do you think the 15k is a good choice for what I want to do with it?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Anyone?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    jrzy's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Seeing that you're geared towards video and audio ...ever thought about getting a Apple Laptop ?? I've never personally had one but their specs are smoking and they look pretty sweet....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100

I'd go with either HP or Dell for dependability and cost.

And don't forget to search for coupons if you're gonna purchase one online.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I think you'd better choose the 21K.