Thread: Buying DVD on Amazon: Did I just get conned?

Where should I begin....

Recently I bought this item off Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ambassadors-Daughter...2737&sr=8-1
    And yes this is from AMAZON themself, not from other seller

I watched it in TCM rougly few months back and I kinda liked the movie so I decided to order it. I got it today in the mail and when I joyfully open the package, I found that the actual DVD case and the printing in the front doesn't look anything genuine to me. It looks as if the disc was home made, I took a step further and open it up and load it into my computer and found the quality was poor as well. (I haven't really look throughly yet, but the screen tends to shake a bit and it gives you a feeling that it was never redigitize like other classic DVD you find outside).

In that case.... did I just get conned? Or is this generally the case for buying DVD on Amazon?
    It said in the page and even on the receipt that comes with the package that open DVD can't be returned......
    Life could be cruel; but guess what, you have to face it no matter what happens.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    if you mean that dvd then chances are a movie from 1956 really isnt going to be of excellent quality. thers isnt a cover posted on the site either which means it may actually just be terrible quality print done by amazon or the wholesaler.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    BANNED BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    hes right^, ive brought some dvds from Amazon and there always satisfctory, its really unlikely that Amazon have conned you, just send them a message if you have any concerns

4. Lounge   -   #4
    I figure out the issue, someone in KG told me that in TCM's website they actually posted this

there's a dvd for sale at the TCM Shop, probably the same one, with a warning.
    "NOTE: Print quality is below our usual standards. However, it is the best available."

I suppose they might have recorded it somewhere else.........

Maybe I just send amazon an email or something...
    Life could be cruel; but guess what, you have to face it no matter what happens.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Well I scanned through the movie. It played without any problem, the only thing that was really shocking was.

a) In the beginning and the end there was some unknown company log - which kinda suggest they are the reproducer of the DVD (and trust me... that looks 99% homemade rather than professional company).

a1) adding to that, the end captioning was completely cut off.

b) The movie itself seems like one that has been copy directly from a recording VCR to DVD (the most scary factor is that you actually see those noises and lines in TV of 60s-70s throughout the whole movie).

c) The factor.... when I pop the DVD out again, I notice I caught some ink on my thumb, which I notice that at the bottom of the DVD, there was ink residue thats sitting there (It looks like the mess that has been left there after they printed the DVD cover....)

......... the DVD itself is of home made rather than professional.........

Which I am more than happy to send a complain email to Amazon ealrier.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    wow, that is bad, you should definately report it.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Ya killer23... I am just shocked that I am getting something like this from Amazon and not to mention that I pay for it as a price of brand new DVD... which is ironic as the one on my hand looks rather like those you find in China town and cost 3 bucks....

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Ya killer23... I am just shocked that I am getting something like this from Amazon and not to mention that I pay for it as a price of brand new DVD... which is ironic as the one on my hand looks rather like those you find in China town and cost 3 bucks....
    pm'ed

(not anything to do with invites, so dont get excited people)
    Last edited by killer23; 10-05-2007 at 05:04 AM.