Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ?best Computer?

well someone once said that there's nothing more entertaining that building your own box, plus the emotional attachment to your creation.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Originally posted by Blaster.Master@12 July 2003 - 20:12
    well someone once said that there's nothing more entertaining that building your own box, plus the emotional attachment to your creation.
    Definately. But paying for it is an entirely different issue.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    I agree with everyone who says build one cause its fun just updating your computer on your own without having to buy a new comp

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Buying a computer depends what you want it for for.
    I've always stayed with Dell.
    An easy way to figure it is to get the computer that has processor that you need to support the best video card out.
    Other than that make sure is it has all ports (like USB 2.0) and bays (at least 2 CD-ROM bays) you need.
    Buy almost all your upgrades aftermarket unless you get an extremely great deal. There are way better options out there.
    ex.
    If you buy a Dell with P4 3GHZ processor, get the minimum HD offered (usually 20 GB). Buy an aftermarket drive as close to or below $1 per GB. I just saw a 160 GB HD for $100 and a 250 GB for $230. Dell can't beat that.
    You usually get better deals on aftermarket memory but sometimes folks like Dells will DOUBLE your memory for free.
    Forget extras like CD-RW (in the second bay) from the manufacturer unless they give it to you free. Get DVD-ROM in the first bay if possible. Buy DVD+_RW aftermarket. You can get a multi-format DVD recorder for the 2nd bay for $200.

Get your monitor aftermarket. Forget flat panels unless you just don't have the space. Otherwise you trade off screen-size (CRT) and more money just to look cool.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    i have a compaq, is not a bad puter but i just don't like the fact that i didn't choose any of the parts that came with it. Call it a mass produce pc.
    Talking about prices, i don't think that dell or any other PC seller is cheap, they are just easy to buy and easy to use but i don't think they gonna use top of the line parts for a mass produce pc.
    My advice is to set your prioryties, what do you need, how much money you have,do you have a job? and such.
    Most ppl translate expensive=Quality and thats not always the case.
    My nex box is going to be a custom build one, i'm just tired of Dell, Compaq, Gateway and other brands, i want a machine that behave the way i want it to behave.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@10 July 2003 - 10:51
    Ars Technica has some pretty decent setups that are updated every couple of months.

The Budget Box (currently ~ $650)
    The Hot Rod (currently ~ $1,300)
    The God Box (currently ~ $10,000)
    I think that god box would theoretically be the most powerful pc you could build but why does it use pc 2100 ram?instead of a faster kind?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman@12 July 2003 - 22:03
    I've always stayed with Dell.
    An easy way to figure it is to get the computer that has processor that you need to support the best video card out.
    Other than that make sure is it has all ports (like USB 2.0) and bays (at least 2 CD-ROM bays) you need.
    Buy almost all your upgrades aftermarket unless you get an extremely great deal. There are way better options out there.
    ex.
    If you buy a Dell with P4 3GHZ processor, get the minimum HD offered (usually 20 GB). Buy an aftermarket drive as close to or below $1 per GB. I just saw a 160 GB HD for $100 and a 250 GB for $230. Dell can't beat that.
    You usually get better deals on aftermarket memory but sometimes folks like Dells will DOUBLE your memory for free.
    Forget extras like CD-RW (in the second bay) from the manufacturer unless they give it to you free. Get DVD-ROM in the first bay if possible. Buy DVD+_RW aftermarket. You can get a multi-format DVD recorder for the 2nd bay for $200.

Get your monitor aftermarket. Forget flat panels unless you just don't have the space. Otherwise you trade off screen-size (CRT) and more money just to look cool.
    I just bought a dell and the smallest hd (wich I chose )was 60 gig's not 20
    and my dvd+rw plus 512 mor (MEGS OF RAM ) was free.
    BTW.
    also came with
    gforce 4 mx 64 mb<will buy better one when half life 2 comes
    2.6ghz hyper threading p4/800mhz fsb<will that even run half life 2?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by "The Avatar Man"+13 July 2003 - 16:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("The Avatar Man" &#064; 13 July 2003 - 16:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@12 July 2003 - 22:03
    I&#39;ve always stayed with Dell.
    ex.
    If you buy a Dell with P4 3GHZ processor, get the minimum HD offered (usually 20 GB). Buy an aftermarket drive as close to or below &#036;1 per GB. I just saw a 160 GB HD for &#036;100 and a 250 GB for &#036;230. Dell can&#39;t beat that.
    Forget extras like CD-RW (in the second bay) from the manufacturer unless they give it to you free. Get DVD-ROM in the first bay if possible. Buy DVD+_RW aftermarket. You can get a multi-format DVD recorder for the 2nd bay for &#036;200.

Get your monitor aftermarket. Forget flat panels unless you just don&#39;t have the space. Otherwise you trade off screen-size (CRT) and more money just to look cool.
    I just bought a dell and the smallest hd (wich I chose )was 60 gig&#39;s not 20
    and my dvd+rw plus 512 mor (MEGS OF RAM ) was free.
    BTW.
    also came with
    gforce 4 mx 64 mb<will buy better one when half life 2 comes
    2.6ghz hyper threading p4/800mhz fsb<will that even run half life 2? [/b][/quote]
    Did you buy it new or refurbished?

What did you pay?

Post the specs of the deal please.

Make sure that you get either Dimension 8300c or Dimension XPSc because they both use the Canterwood i875P Intel chipset, as opposed to the lower models which use the 865 variations. And if you get 8300 or XPS you definately get dual channel RAM, whereas in the lower models you get slower ram (333 MHz) as opposed to 400 MHz dual channel.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    What about those Aleinware computers, are they any good?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Twist3r
    hell yeah but there spendy as hell

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast