Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ?best Computer?

I built had my computer custom built by www.cyberpowerinc.com for 595$$
    2100 athalon
    512ddr ram
    64 4x agp video
    came with case with 7 neon cooling fans, a window and a neon light that responds to sound
    Or course this was without monitor and operating system.. but it's still a very good by and the service and delivery is very good.
    For about 1000 you could get a "top of the line computer" which could cost you hundreds more anywhere else. www.cyberpowerinc.com--- highly recommended

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    What chipset are you using?
    What speed is your ram?
    Is your ram single channel?

From Dell for $650 you could get a much better deal, dual channel DDR 400 ram, a P4@ 2.6 GHz with hyperthreading, etc, etc. Intel 875P chipset AGP 8X... I feel like a Dell salesman now:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dell Dimension 8300 Mini-Tower: Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.6GHz with 800MHz front side bus
    System Price $774.00
    Promotion Discount ($125.00)
    Discounted Price $649.00

Memory: 256 MB DDR 400MHz SDRAM (2 DIMMs)
    Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
    Hard Disk Drive: 60 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    Video: 64MB GeForce4 MX 420 with TV-Out
    Modem: 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP Home
    DVD Drive: 16X DVD-ROM
    Software: Microsoft® Works Suite 2003
    Image Expert Standard Software
    Logitech PS2 Mouse
    QuietKey Keyboard

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Poster
    my next PC is gonna be a Alienware. thats all i gotta say.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Alienware is, in my opinion, overpriced. Alienware is a relatively small manufacturer and has a lot of overhead (advertisements, goofy colored paints, etc). If you buy Alienware, you will be paying for the magazine ads they front and the higher overall cost of hardware due to Alienware's tiny market share. If you cross check the components in an Alienware system with Dell you will see that the consumer who purchases Alienware is one searching for a novelty and popularity rather than for only for the compoents of the system. In other words, Alienware is marketed to really rich folks who want to look cool and don't mind paying to do so.

If you the dough to buy Alienware, you might rather consider spending your $2,000+ on a killer custom made system that you could build yourself, or with the help of a friend.

It is, of course, best to build your own system or find a m8 who know how to do this and pay him a few bucks and if s/he knows what s/he is doing, then you will have options like overclocking, memory timings, and other various options in BIOS. The downside of building your own computer is the overwhelming opportunity costs of searching for the right components, installing the components, and waiting for them to arrive in the mail. But some people consider this a hobby, or fun. I guess it could be. I simply do not have extra time on my hands to do this at this juncture. It may be the case in the future, as I anticipate a career in the computer manufacturing industry.

Just my opinion... B)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    chalkmongoose
    The God Box seems a bit excessive... For eight thousand dollars less, I can be perfectly content

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    I gave a gateway 300S.

I am ashamed.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by Keikan@12 July 2003 - 11:26
    That is not a god box... more like could use some improvement box
    Care to elaborate? This is supposed to be a discussion, you know.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    ADAM P2P your right man...dell also has increadible support that you CANT get from gaming places....that dell is an awsome price! congrats on the awsome purchase
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234