Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF is P2L?

Quote Originally Posted by darkness View Post
    no torrent site forces you to pay, you have the option to get your ratio back to a respectable one but thats it, they dont require you to pay to keep your account and to keep downloading.
    I agree that no torrent site forces anyone to pay, you are right. But as i have stated, seeding files back to a 1:1 ratio is a pain for me as i am being traffic shaped, especially on large files. I can indeed seed back to a 1:1 ratio on very few popular torrents. Downloading older packs is practically impossible for me, or at least seeding them back to a 1:1 ratio, which makes me resort back to donating for upload credits. And of course most torrent sites disable you if you go down below a certain ratio, as you probably know.

Hence why i promote FTN's system, as they have an alternative for the 1:1 ratio, which is 36 hours of seeding, which i can easily do.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    VIPs dont get freeleech or gigs, and i dont agree with free leech either, we will never have it on blackcats.

but like i said im not trying to preach to other tracker owners, they are free to do what they like, its just not my choice at all.

with the SP mod we have, and i will try to explain this in laymans terms.

Non VIP and even staff and me get.

20:1 seeder leecher ratio
    so if the ratio of seeders to leechers is above that you get SP if not you dont, 0 leechers always get SP.

76 hours active time before SP kicks in,
    which starts from when you first start to download, and doesnt have to be consecutive, as in you cant turn your pc off.

1 SP per hour

we have a minimum of 10 SP per torrent and 100meg = 1SP
    so a 5meg torrent or a 100 meg torrent will have a cost of 10sp.

a 6 gig 360 game will have a 60 cost (but whatever you actually upload gets reduced from that) so cost will be 60 if you havnt uploaded anything, if you have uploaded 3 gig the cost will be 30.

Connactable get 1 SP per hour, Unconnectable get .250 an hour.

Now VIPs

they skip the seeder/leecher ratio

they have a 36 hour active time

they get 3 SP per hour, and it doesnt matter if they are connectable or not.

We believe this is a pretty fair system, as VIPs dont get free leech, they do have to actually work at it.

btw SP kicks in when you have completed the torrent, so we have got rid of all multi game torrents (NDS packs, packed seperately) all the uploaders have to multi rar them first, so that gets rid of the partial leechers problem where they just want 1 or 2 games and sit there for months, stopping the proper seeders from getting SP.

My intention wasnt realy to explain all that, but when im tired i tend to rabble on lol

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    I Run It
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    VIPs dont get freeleech or gigs, and i dont agree with free leech either, we will never have it on blackcats.

but like i said im not trying to preach to other tracker owners, they are free to do what they like, its just not my choice at all.

with the SP mod we have, and i will try to explain this in laymans terms.

Non VIP and even staff and me get.

20:1 seeder leecher ratio
    so if the ratio of seeders to leechers is above that you get SP if not you dont, 0 leechers always get SP.

76 hours active time before SP kicks in,
    which starts from when you first start to download, and doesnt have to be consecutive, as in you cant turn your pc off.

1 SP per hour

we have a minimum of 10 SP per torrent and 100meg = 1SP
    so a 5meg torrent or a 100 meg torrent will have a cost of 10sp.

a 6 gig 360 game will have a 60 cost (but whatever you actually upload gets reduced from that) so cost will be 60 if you havnt uploaded anything, if you have uploaded 3 gig the cost will be 30.

Connactable get 1 SP per hour, Unconnectable get .250 an hour.

Now VIPs

they skip the seeder/leecher ratio

they have a 36 hour active time

they get 3 SP per hour, and it doesnt matter if they are connectable or not.

We believe this is a pretty fair system, as VIPs dont get free leech, they do have to actually work at it.

btw SP kicks in when you have completed the torrent, so we have got rid of all multi game torrents (NDS packs, packed seperately) all the uploaders have to multi rar them first, so that gets rid of the partial leechers problem where they just want 1 or 2 games and sit there for months, stopping the proper seeders from getting SP.

My intention wasnt realy to explain all that, but when im tired i tend to rabble on lol

I enjoy systems like this, but not all trackers enjoy like you said. The rely on the basics of Seed 1:1, a minimum time or donate if you aren't able to seed 1:1, but this does not disregard existing rules. You can still be banned/disabled.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    PU is 1.5 ratio
    SPU is 2.05 ratio and you can upload requests.
    Another community rep found!

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Moonspell13's Avatar Saltwater... BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Pay 2 Leech is lame... Most pay 2 leech sites make some big bucks $$$ .. Wake up some of you ppl ..
    Into The Labyrinth...

=== Tsolias ===

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Member BT Rep: +2
    thanks for the clear up

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by darkness
    Pay2Leech requires a person to Pay Money to get access to the content. ScT, CT, ST, etc are NOT Pay2Leech.
    This is all just a matter of terminology. Most users draw a distinction between Pay2Download and Pay2Leech.
    - A Pay2Download system requires you to pay to access the content.
    - A Pay2Leech system allows you to pay so that you can download without sharing.

I don't really object to P2L systems that much. It provides a solid source of funds for the tracker to keep going. What I do object to is blatant profiteering that goes on at some sites. For example TL has nearly 200k members. They make an absolute fortune from their P2L system and yet they still feel the need to squeeze as much money from the site as possible by having ads as well. I also hate it when sites feel the need to spam my inbox everyday with their latest great offer trying to sell me leech.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    unattended's Avatar White & Nerdy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by darkness View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    there are still free providers out there, they just suck because no one wants crappy retention. Back in the day, there were more quality free providers. Just because retention is what people want doesn't mean its all p2l, users wanted more retention, and that costs $$$ for storage space.

Edit: i'm not against what you've said, just clarifying my point on newsgroups.

Noted and i agree to an extent, but it comes down to the fact, that you are paying to download, you have the option of sticking to a free provider but you are choosing to pay for something better.
    You saying Newsgroups are P2L is like me saying BitTorrent is P2L. It is an extremely inaccurate generalization.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    profit from piracy? -> P2L

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    p1r4t3's Avatar More drama? ffs BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Never pay for File Sharing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12