Thread: Almost Impossible Request, But...

Problem I have is that I live in Thailand, and use an ISP here which I am unable to get any details about. It is called Freenet, and yes, it is free apart from the cost of the calls. Trouble is, their is no way of getting any info from them as to what their FTP address is, or even if they allow FTP at all. For this reason, although I have downloaded SmartFTP, I am unable to install it, or use it. Is there a way to get the info that I require on this ISP from my connection, that would help me to connect with their server? Sorry, I know this is a weird one, but I am lost, as I wanted to learn about FTP, and I know nothing so far. Would be sooo useful to be able to send files to home.
    Many Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    do you get personal webspace?
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    No web-space that I know of. All I have is a telephone number to connect, a password and username. Got these from the shop assistant that sold me the comp. (very hush hush he was about it too) Unfortunately, the shop is no longer in business, which is the way of things in Thailand.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by kennyboy@9 July 2003 - 22:40
    Problem I have is that I live in Thailand, and use an ISP here which I am unable to get any details about. It is called Freenet, and yes, it is free apart from the cost of the calls. Trouble is, their is no way of getting any info from them as to what their FTP address is, or even if they allow FTP at all. For this reason, although I have downloaded SmartFTP, I am unable to install it, or use it. Is there a way to get the info that I require on this ISP from my connection, that would help me to connect with their server? Sorry, I know this is a weird one, but I am lost, as I wanted to learn about FTP, and I know nothing so far. Would be sooo useful to be able to send files to home.
    Many Thanks.
    Try doing an FTP bounce attack.

Works like a charm. Be careful though

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ummm.....shn, sounds good, but I have no idea what it is
    Can you tell me how, and what do I have to be careful of? Thai jails are not very nice places.......hahaha

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    First of all, well no ISP allows you to connect to them via FTP unless you have an access. FTP(Files transfer Protocol) is used to transfer files over the internet which you already know. So why would any ISP allow to upload files to their server. If you do want to try ftp, go get some free webhosting sites like bravepages.com that allow to transfer files via FTP.
    BTW, Dont try any bounce attack nor dos attacks, I am sure thai jails are no good Try getting information of your ur ip which you get. Your IP indicates your ISP sever address as well. If you try scanning from any free site or programs like NeoTrace it will tell you all about it.

Goodluck&#33; Hope this helps.

Edit: Btw, to get your IP go to command prompt and type "ipconfig" that will display your ip address.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Amazing&#33; I&#39;m in the same boat as you are my friend. Vietnam is pretty much the same .

Anyways just try to upload a file and if it doesn&#39;t work it doesn;t work. How hard is that? lol.

*Or just download a file through ftp. Or try to access a ftp server....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by pen_n_paper@10 July 2003 - 09:17
    Anyways just try to upload a file and if it doesn&#39;t work it doesn;t work. How hard is that? lol.
    Heh. Upload a file... to where? He has to figure that part out first.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks to everybody here. Have at least established that my ISP does NOT let me upload or download FTP, so that is something.
    Next is to find a free web-hosting site, as I.am suggested. Do all web-hosting sites offer this, and any recommendations of the best ones to try please.
    I will probably be back soon with more questions when I fail to configute the ftp prog, but I am learning, and I love it.
    Many thanks to all.