Thread: ***how Long Can Be A Pc On***

Out of The Ordinary
    Originally posted by Luca_Snipes@11 July 2003 - 12:53
    I've had machines that have been on 5years+ with out a powerdown/restart
    I don't belive that.

BOT

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    I agree with [B][O][T] . Even linux and unix machines generaly don't stay up that long.
    And especially not in a desktop environment. And, I find it hard to believe, in that 5 years, there's never been a power outage of more than 20 minutes which is what a UPS would give you( and they weren't that good 5 years ago)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Average uptime Windows 95 4 mins 14 seconds that takes me back.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    personally i tuen it off every nite. i left it on once for a week and it just started to freeze, i turned it off for a day or so and it worked again, they get overheated. let them rest for a while and they will be more reliable

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Longest I have left mine on was for around 2 or so months.

There are NO POWEROUTAGES IN GERMANY, thunder can be going all over etc, no power outages whatsoever...

Hamburg btw havent had a poweroutage in the few years ive lived here

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    last time I shut my pc down was a week ago, roughly. I do not count restarts as shutting down, as the pc still using power.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Wow after reading all of this.. Iam going 2 start leaving mine on more often.. My dad mate said that leaving it breaks your machine but after reading all this stuff...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    I have not terned my PC Off for over SIX Munth i oney Restarts it ones or twis a week

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    aside from the hard drive and the fans, there aren't really a lot of moving parts in a PC. the fans are supposed to last for several thousand hours of use, and the CPU and RAM can basically be used forever without a break as long as they don't overheat.

the one thing i would be concerned about is the hard drive. server grade hard drives are designed for 24/7 - 365 use, but consumer level hard drives are not. not to say that you can't leave them on 24 hours/day, but there is a chance that leaving it on all the time might damage the hard drive. there was a big controversy about a year ago, when IBM declared that one of their hard drive series should only be used for 8 hours per day, because they were getting so many returned due to mechanical failure.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    I turn my pc off at 10:00pm everynight (GMT) as mum usually goes to bed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast