Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Refugee Problem

Ron's Avatar Poster
    R_F, what is "the white list"?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Uk Immigration and related

Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 introdused it... there is a PDF download on this webpage giving more details

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@14 July 2003 - 20:55
    ...however i'm trying to remove the immigration issue from the other two ie: Asylum/Refugee. These two are a wholey different problem...
    Indeed. My post wasn't really directed at you RF. Just those who were, for some reason, confusing the immigration system with the refugee system.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    Originally posted by Ron@14 July 2003 - 17:24

Turkey may not be the most democratic place on Earth, but people aren't exactly killed on the streets there either. Neither are they in Morocco....
    Life is a lot cheaper in China and India, I think. Still, those people are a lot more peacufull and willing to integrate/assimilate.
    I think life is cheap is more than just if a person is killed or not, it also extends to things like employment and those countries people are really poor, if I was in there situation I would do the same and break as many laws as required to get my family to a better country.

I think using China and India are poor comparisons and in this instance are incorrect, China is more peaceful because of the repressive regime they have,
    India is hardly peaceful or tolerate they have been swepted up in fascist Hindu Nationalism ever since Gandhi’s death with it coming more to the fore lately,
    People in India of Sheik or Muslim belief have been massacred with the police content to sit on the side lines with political heads encouraging it, this doesn’t mean they haven’t responded with the same in kind, but the Nationalistic Hindu's tend to be the provocateurs.

The world has gotten far more selfish and hateful of late, What I notice is that most people complaining about refuges are people from Europe who have benefited from the abuse and repression by there governments ect of many peoples across the world for at least the past 400 to 500 years if not more and it's fitting that they carry the burden of the poor & suffering from what they have sowed.
    You reap what you sow.

But while we live on one planet, we are divided as ever and sending people back to poverty and war will never solve the problem but sitting here complaining wont either.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    junkyardking:
    I would break EVERY possible law and then some to get my loved ones to safety.
    No argument there. But I would stop breaking laws if they were safe. I ould be grateful to find a place where my children could grow up in safety. I would NOT jeopardize that safety by abusing the system of my hosts.

As for India and China: if you would have read carefully, you would have seen that I said that life was cheap in those countries. That's why it's strange that those people are so peaceful HERE.
    Earlier in this thread, someone said that the problems could occur because life was cheap in the country of origin of the refugees/asylum seekers/immigrants.
    I didn't think that was a valid argument for the reasons I stated.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by junkyardking@15 July 2003 - 05:47

But while we live on one planet, we are divided as ever and sending people back to poverty and war will never solve the problem but sitting here complaining wont either.
    Hello Junkyardking:

You can do something about it though!

Join your local refugee helpers council!

Nigel

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    theres an excellent article from the BBC website here and apparently there is going to be a 5 part series on asylum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@11 July 2003 - 09:52
    Really? Invaded?

90% of the British Empire was NOT invaded by the British.

They were invaded by the French, Dutch and Spanish then given to the British as compensation after these countries lost wars with the British.

eg New York was originally New Amsterdam, Canada and India were both French, Australia was Dutch....

I agree though that a LOT of countries were invaded by Europeans, bringing Disease and wiping out whole swathes of the natives...It was Dutch, and we won it off them....not off the Aborigines (which would have been an invasion).

We never fought over there, we fought over here...Australia was nothing more than a prize in a minor scuffle between 2 European Powers of the time.
    Rat your right on the money with most things [thanks for the succinct explanation of the british system],
    but, just a couple of points re. australia ['cause you're way off the mark on this one]

no dutch colony ever existed in what is now called australia, some dutch maps exist which name the landmass New Holland, but only about two dutch ships landed in western australia and were so scared they sailed on

there was an english invasion and then genocide here [which continues with local masters] :: english invasion also took place in new zealand

there was a guerrilla front just 30km north of sydney which took the red coats 60 years to break [and hardly any australians even know about it]

the red coats were fighting the aora koori nation [aboriginals if you like] not dutch not french

also speaking of another land invaded by the english and displaced people, huge numbers of irish dissidents were transported here in colonial times

to say that the british never fought in australia is as offencive as denying the nazi holocaust [but i assume that it is symptomatic of ignorance rather than any malicious revisionism]
    englishmen spilt an awful deal of blood in my country [and continue to do their best to forget it]

the closest thing to a scuffle between two european powers here was when a french ship turned up to find the british already here [and left after about 40 days of hanging out amicably with the british invaders]

to the topic;

as someone who born in a country made up of thousands of refugees i am ashamed at the recent policies on asylum seekers here
    the australian government are nothing short of fascists

i often find i like immigrants/refugees better than locals as they appreciate this place more than people who are born into it
    i have extolled the virtues of migrants cooking before and will again here, even if you can't speak with someone you can eat with them [you'll probably get a great meal]

i believe that all help should be rendered that reasonably can be, and for most of us in the developed world there is usually more that can be done. my government now even refuses to abide by the law of the sea due to refugee xenophobia, and we're on an island!

it takes a lot to make someone leave their homeland, refugees are rarely opportunists, and i believe that the rich places of the world should help them and the people they left behind far more than we do. [the military budgets spent(wasted) failing to catching saddam could have helped a lot of people, for a start]

9. The Drawing Room   -   #109
    Poster
    Originally posted by 4play@10 July 2003 - 20:30
    I believe that we should kick out all immigrants who have not lived here for at least 10 years. regardless of if they have had kids here.
    Why 10 years. why not 100

If that were the case then my fiancee would be thrown out.
    Her family came over from Italy in WW2 and the men fought with the british army.They loved Wales and decided to stay after the war.
    they were welcome and treated as heroes.they have all worked hard and some have become very successful.

Would you throw her out because her family were refugee's?
    do you concider her family "SCUM"?
    I don't understand why your so intimidated by these people.
    Is it you feel you cannot compete?
    Or is this hatred just a symptom of your failure to achieve your own ambitions.

Neil.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #110
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Neil__@23 July 2003 - 17:01
    Why 10 years. why not 100

If that were the case then my fiancee would be thrown out.
    Nice one there Neil.

I'm not commenting whether you or 4play is right, but you can't move the goalposts and then object to someone having scored where the goals were before you moved them.

He said 10 years, not 100, so comment on 10 years please.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast