Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Refugee Problem

Poster
    I thought I already did.
    But to clarify.
    It's one of the stupidest things I've heard a purportedly Intelligent man say in a very long time. (Bush excluded)
    And together with the rest of his racism makes a very good case for a program of education in order to explain basic human rights to the few who refuse to understand.

Neil.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #112
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Rat your right on the money with most things [thanks for the succinct explanation of the british system],
    but, just a couple of points re. australia ['cause you're way off the mark on this one]

no dutch colony ever existed in what is now called australia, some dutch maps exist which name the landmass New Holland, but only about two dutch ships landed in western australia and were so scared they sailed on

there was an english invasion and then genocide here [which continues with local masters] :: english invasion also took place in new zealand

there was a guerrilla front just 30km north of sydney which took the red coats 60 years to break [and hardly any australians even know about it]

the red coats were fighting the aora koori nation [aboriginals if you like] not dutch not french

also speaking of another land invaded by the english and displaced people, huge numbers of irish dissidents were transported here in colonial times

to say that the british never fought in australia is as offencive as denying the nazi holocaust [but i assume that it is symptomatic of ignorance rather than any malicious revisionism]
    englishmen spilt an awful deal of blood in my country [and continue to do their best to forget it]

the closest thing to a scuffle between two european powers here was when a french ship turned up to find the british already here [and left after about 40 days of hanging out amicably with the british invaders]

My appologise.

The British certainly "Invaded" the aboginies...but the land was "won" from the Dutch in a European scuffle..The British of that time considered it was theirs, and enforced this with the natives, who (as you pointed out) didnt know that and, rightly so, wouldnt have agreed with that point of view either.

Its the English/Dutch saga that somehow gets taught in our schools, with little or no attention given to the aboriginies (or at least this was the case all those years ago when i attended).

I take exception to the Irish example....as you said, it was the ENGLISH that invaded Ireland.

A small, but significant point, to anyone that isnt English.

..ask any Irishman, they have nothing against the Scots or the Welsh.

The English have been bastards throughout history, especially to the rest of Britain.

On Topic...

Neil__

Your possible future in-laws werent refugee's after the war, they became immigrants...and obviously contributed a lot to the country in which they settled.

Their daughter, by definition, is British?

I've pointed out my opinion on the different problems and which im for/against.

If someone wishes to stay a "refugee", then i have no problem in that status being reviewed every 10 years or so....if they want to stay permanently, they can change status to immigrant..no problem.

What i'd object to is these people getting more help than our own people on a permanent basis, ie: Permanent Refugee.

This status should be removed as soon as the reason for being a Refugee/Asylum seaker has been removed...ie War in their own country has stopped/change of regime in old country.

If they WANT to stay, fine by me.....As immigrants; with the same benefits/obligations as the local population.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #113
    Poster
    Rat Faced.
    Like I've said before we need a coherent approach to assylum and imigration in Britain and in partnership in Europe.With each countries indevidual approach taylored towards a wider European approach.
    Before they cam start, people need educating. It's such an emotive political issue that our present government won't touch it enough to make a difference. and also the people wont like rules on our assylum that seem to be imposed by Europe they would take that as "European superstate"ism
    The gutter press would be all over it wipping up hysteria.

Neil

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112