Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Refugee Problem

Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123+11 July 2003 - 21:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nigel123 @ 11 July 2003 - 21:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Neil__@11 July 2003 - 18:38

tot ziens, tot horens of tot lezens?

.....Untill I see you, untill I hear from you or untill I read from you&#33;

(literally translated)

Nigel [/b][/quote]
    Cheers nigel

I wasn&#39;t even close so I&#39;ll blame the net.

Neil

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Originally posted by Neil__@11 July 2003 - 21:34
    Skweeky

Sounds like there&#39;s a bunch of nutters both sides of the arguement.

Neil
    exactly

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Sorry Skweeky, but I think you&#39;re misled somewhere/somehow.
    As far as I know, there are NO homeless foreigners in Belgium.
    All they have to do, is go to a wellfare office, and they get help.
    I know a girl in Mechelen, who receives €450 a month from wellfare, while my brother rented an appartment to a refugee from Kosovo, who received almost €700, while his bills were paid by the wellfare office.
    (This man bought his own house after being in Belgium ONE year, btw)
    It&#39;s not because you see them begging on the streets, that they have no home.
    I used to live above a Romanian family that did that. The father dropped his wife and kids off with his Mercedes every day&#33;&#33; (his kids were beaten if they didn&#39;t collect enough, btw). Not generalizing here, just my personal experience.

Also, I wasn&#39;t propagizing the Vlaams Blok here. Of course they are not the solution to the problem. It&#39;s just that I think it&#39;s plain stupid to forbid a slogan like that. Censorship is wrong. Where does it lead to? Our government is slowly, systematically gagging us. How long until we no longer have the right to critize
    Neil: in Belgium, everyone who enters the country is given the opportunity to learn Dutch, they just refuse, that&#39;s all.
    There was some talk about forcing them, by cutting their wellfare check if they didn&#39;t. The idea behind it, was if they didn&#39;t learn Dutch, they wouldn&#39;t have a chance on getting a job, thus stayying unemployed indefinately.
    Guess where those plans ended up.....

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Originally posted by Ron@11 July 2003 - 21:50
    Sorry Skweeky, but I think you&#39;re misled somewhere/somehow.
    As far as I know, there are NO homeless foreigners in Belgium.
    All they have to do, is go to a wellfare office, and they get help.
    Do you ever walk around in the neighbourhood of Brussel Noord or Etterbeek/Schaarbeek at night?

As I said, I know there are a lot of problems, I just don&#39;t think that all foreigners get the help they need, just as not all belgians get the help they need.
    I realize the system isn&#39;t perfect, not at all, but it&#39;s a but onesided to state that &#39;they&#39; get more than &#39;us&#39; all the time.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    Hi, folks. You have certainly covered some ground with this topic&#33;
    What I don&#39;t think you have done is clearly stated that there are two types of Asylum Seekers.
    Economic Migrants And Political Refugees.
    The first just want to find a better life; the second want to stay alive. It&#39;s an important difference in terms of International Law.
    No Country has the right to "close the door" on Political Refugees.
    All Countries can tell Economic Migrants to go home.
    The problem is sometimes trying to tell the difference.
    Because sometimes, there isn,t one&#33;

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    Poster
    Originally posted by Neil__@10 July 2003 - 15:34
    When it comes to Financial refugees then thats what international aid is for
    and we can&#39;t take them in.

We could end up just as poor as they were and that isn&#39;t assylum
    that&#39;s stupidity.

Neil
    funny_bunny

I mentioned it in passing but it needs to be mentioned again.

Neil

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    Thanks, Neil. The point I am trying to make is that the word &#39;Refugee&#39; has special meaning in Law. To seek refuge, to be sheltered from harm. These people don&#39;t have to fulfill any pre-requisites to be allowed in to any country to whom they apply and they cannot be denied or returned.
    Economic Migrants are looking for work, that they cannot find in their own country, in order to improve their quality of life.
    They must, therefore fulfill one important requirement. The qualifications and/or experience to fulfill a job requirement. If they can&#39;t do that, then they can be told; Go Home&#33;
    And especialyy in those countries that already have unemployment problems.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    Poster
    funny bunny
    Exactly

The refuge we give is from tyrany not poverty.
    It&#39;s unfortunate that people are starving to death and we could save their lives by taking them in, but how can we do that without plunging our own countries into poverty. How does that help the ecconomic "Refugees/ Migrants"
    They would come to the most prosperous countries in their millions and now it&#39;s us that are starving because it&#39;s now us that have a cronic population crisis.

Sorry but it cannot be done

the possible answer to this problem is similar to the EEC model
    less advanced economies are invested in and raised to a minimum standard for the greater good and economic power of a larger Europe if we apply this to the planet then maybe we can save these countries from self/natural destruction.

Neil.

P.S. Isn&#39;t it the case that if we spent 14 days of global armaments spending in the right areas then we could end starvation forever.

Worth thinking about next time you vote.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Anyone hear about the TV commercial that the Albanian GOVERNMENT broadcasted some two years ago?
    They were telling their citizens to go to Belgium, because they would get money there.
    So a lot of them came, all &#39;political refugees&#39;.
    At some point, our government decided to repatriate about 50 of them.
    Albania refused to take them back, unless Belgium paid for their support in Albania, what according to some journalist last week, is still the case.
    Are we responsible for the support of the rest of the world?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    Poster
    Ron

Thats Blackmail pure and simple nothing more
    How does Albania expect the world to take it seriously when it resorts to that behaviour.
    And were not responsible for the support of the world but we do have a moral responsibility to try and help these countries out of a hole.

Two different things altogether.

Neil

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast