Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Refugee Problem

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    As I don't think this has been talked about before, I thought it might be interesting to air it here, to see what the members ideas are on solving the huge problem.

I believe in helping refugees who have been displaced, through war or political reasons. I also believe that they should receive help in "integrating" into the soceity as soon as possible. They should be able to find work, offered housing and education.

I don't agree that refugees who have lived here for many years should be forced to leave against their will.

Lastly, do you believe that refugees should find asylum in their own region?

What do you think?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    nigel123-

It would help to know where exactly "here" is?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    I think judging by other comments he's a brit

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123@10 July 2003 - 12:56
    As I don't think this has been talked about before, I thought it might be interesting to air it here, to see what the members ideas are on solving the huge problem.

I believe in helping refugees who have been displaced, through war or political reasons. I also believe that they should receive help in "integrating" into the soceity as soon as possible. They should be able to find work, offered housing and education.

I don't agree that refugees who have lived here for many years should be forced to leave against their will.

Lastly, do you believe that refugees should find asylum in their own region?

What do you think?
    Finding asylum in the refugees own area as you say is the only sticking point
    I agree fully that refugees should be given all the benefits of other citezens
    of the country they are accepted at

But how could you have a ruke as to where they claim
    if you say closer then countries will just pass the buck so I disagree
    but if you say Asylum seekers should claim assylum in the first country they can then you have the problem of families being distributed around the world with no real contact to each other.

but then you have the draw to english speaking countries as the most popular second language by far

this is why America Canada and here in the UK (among others) are popular safe havens

It's a tricky dilema but on the whole if there in danger it's our duty to help them if they ask.

When it comes to Financial refugees then thats what international aid is for
    and we can't take them in.

We could end up just as poor as they were and that isn't assylum
    that's stupidity.

As for the case that the population of europe is shrinking and getting older
    then without immigrants whose going to pay taxes for our retirement?

Neil

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by j2k4@10 July 2003 - 12:35
    nigel123-

Hello, for me `here´ is the Netherlands. For you, I have no idea. I don't think the problem is only a Dutch problem, so if you live in the UK then that's where `here´, is and If you live in the USA then that is where `here´, is. Etc,etc anon. I left it vague so that everyone could describe their own country´s particular situation/ problem. I hope I have made myself clearer now.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123+10 July 2003 - 15:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nigel123 @ 10 July 2003 - 15:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@10 July 2003 - 12:35
    nigel123-

Hello, for me `here´ is the Netherlands. For you, I have no idea. I don&#39;t think the problem is only a Dutch problem, so if you live in the UK then that&#39;s where `here´, is and If you live in the USA then that is where `here´, is. Etc,etc anon. I left it vague so that everyone could describe their own country´s particular situation/ problem. I hope I have made myself clearer now. [/b][/quote]
    nigel123

And here in Europe.
    do you think it&#39;s a european issue or should Individual countries
    draw up their own legislation?

Neil

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    All these countries have signed up to the 1951 United Nations Convention.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    I know but the U.K. is pressing ahead with it&#39;s own legislation and does that pressadent threaten our joint european imigration policy.

Remember conventions get broken.

Neil

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    As member of the United Nations, the UK´s legislation will have to be within the guidlines of the convention. They are co-signataries.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by nigel123+10 July 2003 - 09:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nigel123 &#064; 10 July 2003 - 09:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@10 July 2003 - 12:35
    nigel123-

Hello, for me `here´ is the Netherlands. For you, I have no idea. I don&#39;t think the problem is only a Dutch problem, so if you live in the UK then that&#39;s where `here´, is and If you live in the USA then that is where `here´, is. Etc,etc anon. I left it vague so that everyone could describe their own country´s particular situation/ problem. I hope I have made myself clearer now.[/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m a North American currently resident slightly below Canada and far, far north of Mexico.

If your intent is to ask the question of refugee (re)settlement generically, I guess I&#39;d have to say I favor an offer of help, with limitations.

First (unfortunately) they would have to be vetted for terrorist sympathies.

I think every attempt should be made to ascertain whether a refugee wishes to remain a refugee or seeks a change in status (citizenship).

If the latter, immediate enrollment in citizenship classes followed by naturalization.

If the former, who could say, short term? Make them comfortable and facilitate a return as soon as possible. Disposition of such cases would resist commonality.

I am reminded of the nomadic existence of the Palestinians; apparently the only solution for the refugee problem would be for there to be no more of them; and NO, I don&#39;t mean "get rid of them"-I mean that such accomodations be made that no one ever need to seek refuge ever again.

The problem is insoluble.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast