Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Media Sources

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clintonesque@10 July 2003 - 10:10
    Thanx all, I'll check them out.

j2k4, Where are you?
    I get my news from everywhere; I form my own opinions and come to my own conclusions.

Whether a news source is biased or not is indeed strictly a matter of opinion also, and I'm willing to leave each to their own.

To tout the "Biased/Unbiased" conflict as one suitable for debate here is to commit many pages of a thread to meaningless blather; luckily for us all, we are only wasting "cyber-ink".

I'll opt out of this one, thanks.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    I get my news from everywhere; I form my own opinions and come to my own conclusions.

Whether a news source is biased or not is indeed strictly a matter of opinion also, and I'm willing to leave each to their own.

To tout the "Biased/Unbiased" conflict as one suitable for debate here is to commit many pages of a thread to meaningless blather; luckily for us all, we are only wasting "cyber-ink".

Yeah, we all make up our own opinions & come to our own conclusions based on what we gather from many sources.

I take it you don't want to reveal any of your favorite online readings?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Poster
    I get most of my better information from what politicians DON'T say.

If you listen a lot it all becomes clear.

Neil

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by clintonesque@10 July 2003 - 10:30

Yeah, we all make up our own opinions & come to our own conclusions based on what we gather from many sources.

I take it you don't want to reveal any of your favorite online readings?
    I get very little on-line; as I generally read opinion pieces, money must be spent to get access, and I spend that money on printed material that I can read at my leisure. The titles of these publications I will keep to myself.

I also read books, 4-5 at a time, so my eyes get a workout.

I haven't the ability to read from a CRT for too long, as I am middle-aged and cursed with the patience of a ten-year-old when I am forced to confront my infirmities.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Poster
    You do alot more reading than I.

Think I'll turn in, have Three Twelve hr. night shifts comming up
    Thanx.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Two of the suggested sources really stick out as very biased (of the ones I know)

DailyStar.......Is very Right Wing.

Daily Mirror leans to the left.

BBC does its best to be unbiased...as to be otherwise is expensive for it.

For every "Left" viewpoint it has to allow the same amount of airtime to the "Right" viewpoint....occasionally it gets it wrong, and broadcasts a public appology, stating when and WHY it was wrong.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@10 July 2003 - 12:20

BBC does its best to be unbiased...as to be otherwise is expensive for it.

For every "Left" viewpoint it has to allow the same amount of airtime to the "Right" viewpoint....occasionally it gets it wrong, and broadcasts a public appology, stating when and WHY it was wrong.
    How can the Beeb's views be legally and effectively stipulated to be unbiased?

Who determines whether the BBC is being biased?

Who determines whether the "bias determiners" are biased?

See what I mean?

Tony Blair is of the opinion the BBC is biased; is Blair wrong because the law says the BBC is unbiased?

My God, I have gone off my nut and have nothing but questions!

(I just couldn't go a whole post without declaring SOMETHING)

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    EVERY UK Government says that the BBC is biased.

Strange how its always being accused of leaning the Opposite way to whichever government is in Office (by the Government of the time), even though its own editorial staff and journalists havent changed.

They must be some of the most confused Journalists on the planet... 1 week they are Commies, the next Capitalist Bastards.

The most ammusing thing is that the Opposition is usually calling them Biased the opposite way.

There is a complaints commision, and they take their job VERY seriously. The results of the Complaints are public, together with reasoning and evidence...its very transparent.

All you need is to send a Self Addressed envelope to....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Poster
    j2k4
    The BBC was government funded and government accountable
    and had a major problem in the past with manipulation by Thatchers government.
    They say the accountability link has been broken but while their budget is decided by Downing Street, Can anyone say they aren't manipulated by the Cabinet.

Rat Faced
    If the government was pulling my strings I'd be speaking out against them also.
    And it dodges the people who claim a link,

Neil

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@10 July 2003 - 15:53
    They must be some of the most confused Journalists on the planet...I week they are Commies, the next Capitalist Bastards.
    SEE?

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast