Thread: Simple question from a simple mind

Question Mark

Evening everyone

Sorry to bother any onlookers with a question which may sound simple for regular users of newsgroups, but I am new to the whole thing and require help with a particular matter:

I have been using torrents until now and they were rather simple to muster - easier than newsgroups anyway. I have signed up for a Diamond Giganews account and am using Grabit. I have so far figured out how to locate files and download them, so there is no problem (than I know of) there. It's once I have downloaded them that I am finding things confusing .

Is probably best for me to start with an example. When you are using torrents, sometimes you download .rar files. Easy, you right click on one of the .rar files and choose 'Extract files here'. Once it is extracted, a new file appears with the complete movie, tv series...

Unfortunately, I am finding things not as simple with newsgroups. Once I have found the file(s) I am looking for on Grabit, I will simply click on the grab icon and will save it in my chosen location. Once Grabit has downloaded and decoded them, I will go to my chosen folder where I will find my downloaded file. Lets say I downloaded a Simpson's episode which was made up of 12 files. I click on The Simpson's file, and it opens up to show the 12 files. Am I needing a decoder, extractor, ???? The files at the end do say .avi, and if I click on one of the 12 files, and select play with VLC, it will play that single file only, not all of them. If I double left click one of the files, i get the 'Windows cannot open this file' pop-up. Is it anything to do with them being yEnc files?

Hope that makes some kind of sense .

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    Did you download a Simpon's series DVDRip? If so, each would be separate avi's. Koepi's latest Experimental build should have directshow filters to allow you to play xvid's in any directshow application.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    By an off chance are the files hjspilt files? "name of series".001.avi or similar? If so you need to join them with hjsplit to get the single .avi file

Code:
    http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rippinitup4fun View Post
    By an off chance are the files hjspilt files? "name of series".001.avi or similar? If so you need to join them with hjsplit to get the single .avi file

Code:
    http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/
    I think I am onto a winner here, that appears to have worked on The Simpson's download I used to test it out.

Thanks

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    You will run across those type of split archives every now and again on usenet. sometimes they do not have the .avi extension ("name of movie".001 - *) all you do for those is the same, join with hjsplit then add the .avi or .mpg or whatever after it is joined. Anyways glad I could help ya