Thread: msn watching prog

im looking for a programme which can monitor or even record msn chats, my kids are using msn quite a bit now and as we all know there are some wierdos out there and would like to keep track of what and who they are talking too/about as i cant be there to watch over thier shoulder 24/7, any help or advice much appreciated, thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    MSN Sniffer, MessengerLog Pro. There's a couple.
    Also, try taking a breath in the middle of your word-blocks.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    cheers fella and sorry about that

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    does anybody know of a step by step set up for these, ie to set up to send logs to a different e-mail, any help appreciated, thanks

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    some of these programs are gonna have problems with snooping over a network so i would normally just check the keep logs box.

options / messages / automatically keep a history of my conversations.

then just go and read them whenever you want they will be located in the folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\My Documents\My Received Files\*msn_login_name*\History

they are xml files which should load in firefox or internet explorer.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    cheers mate, which programme would you also recommend yourself

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    It all depends on your setup if your trying to snoop on other people over a switched network then your pretty much out of luck unless you want to get into arp spoofing.

if its just one machine then just view the saved logs.

The msn sniffer tools are only useful if the machines on your network are connected using a hub which is becoming more unlikely these days since switches are just as cheap and generally better.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    thanks again for advice, the only reason i was wanting to e-mail stuff was because my kids live with there mother and she is more useless than me with pc's, so i could keep an eye on them daily, if this is not really possible then i will just have to check it on logs weekly, some monitoring is better than none at all i suppose, thanks again for your help

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i don't think any one has made a msn-chat-sniffing-log-saving-sender-through-email before.

but i honestly think that you could just teach your wife to open the .xml files that 4play was talking about. i bet she can learn to turn on the computer, log in under your kids' accounts, travel to the directory that stores the .xml files, and double click on them.

there might be other complications if your kids are good with computers. then you will have to set up a wireless network, force then to use it, have your wife use a packet sniffer on her computer that is also hooked up wirelessly, and make sure that they don't encrypt their msn messages. chances are they aren't that paranoid to use encryption, unless you give them a reason. it would be hard to keep it on the 'down-low' if your wife doesn't already have a wireless network set up. if not, though, i'm sure the kids would prefer wireless anyway - especially if they use laptops.

good luck.