Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: This is weird.

  1. #1
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    It seems that my burner (HP DVD 840b just flashed to LG GSA-4166B) doesn't like the fuji film dvd+r's anymore that i've always used. Why is this so?

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    The possible burning strategies are coded into the firmware, different firmwares use different strategies.

    It is probable that the burning strategy in the new firmware isn't compatible with the disks you use, or possible just plain wrong.

    Find a different firmware or change disks.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    413
    ^

    besides, you shouldn't cross-flash unless you're 100% certain drive is identical in every aspect except the name.
    in fact, you shouldn't flash at all unless you have problems you can't solve any other way don't fix it if it works

    anyway, as said, find firmware that will work

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    ^

    besides, you shouldn't cross-flash unless you're 100% certain drive is identical in every aspect except the name.
    in fact, you shouldn't flash at all unless you have problems you can't solve any other way don't fix it if it works

    anyway, as said, find firmware that will work
    Already cross flashed, I did make sure the drive was identical. Worked without a hitch.

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    Worked without a hitch.
    so what brought the need to flash it again?
    anyway, that means you have older, safe and tested firmware, so you probably already reverted and your troubles are gone by now

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    Worked without a hitch.
    so what brought the need to flash it again?
    anyway, that means you have older, safe and tested firmware, so you probably already reverted and your troubles are gone by now


    Reverting back isn't as easy as that, the installer checks to see if it's the correct HP drive, and won't allow the install to proceed if not.

    It is possible, but from what I've seen this involves editing the image you've currently got (to give the HP ident), flashing again with this modified image, then flashing with the HP image.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    413
    if i understood correctly he flashed to lg, it worked, then flashed again to newer lg and it doesn't work. meaning he reverts to lg, not hp, don't know if i got him right tho

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    if i understood correctly he flashed to lg, it worked, then flashed again to newer lg and it doesn't work. meaning he reverts to lg, not hp, don't know if i got him right tho
    I had it stock as an "HP dvd840b" and flashed it to the LG, it works fine. Still can't burn iso's though..

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    I had it stock as an "HP dvd840b" and flashed it to the LG, it works fine. Still can't burn iso's though..
    why would you call that "working fine"

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    He is weird, did you think the title was referring to something else?
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •