Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win Xp

Na, Windows 2000 works great on older computers and would actually run a lot better on your comp then XP would. Main difference between them is 2000 is geared more torwards office environments.

Ya, you can use Windows 2000 with Office Xp just fine.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Note that windows 2000 doesn't have a million drivers included like XP does though. You may want to locate windows 2000 drivers for all your hardware before you quit your current system.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Roosh's Avatar Poster
    Xilo,
    My interests are word processing, e-mail/newsgroups, p2p, and playing/editing audio and video files. Will the fact that win2k is geared towards an office environment affect those plans at all? What exactly does that mean?

I've got win2k pro, office xp/frontpage and xp pro corp in case all downloading. Should I even attempt xp at this point, given your suggestions?

Will 2k pro and office xp be compatible as well?

Balamm,
    Are you giving another reason to go for 2k or reccommending xp -- I can't tell. Where do I look for these 2k drivers?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Ya Windows 2000 is fine for that. Office environment just means computers are used more for office suites (like word processing, excel, etc), databases, programming, and things like that. Really only advantage Windows XP has over 2000 is it's geared towards gamers and media lovers.

If your not really a huge gamer you can cancel XP, though you can download just to have it for the hell of it if you ever get upgraded.

Yes almost everything works fine with Windows 2000 except some games. The drivers can be found by visiting the manufacturers websites. Like if you have a GeForce card, goto www.nvidia.com and download 2000 drivers.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by balamm@12 July 2003 - 05:24
    Note that windows 2000 doesn't have a million drivers included like XP does though. You may want to locate windows 2000 drivers for all your hardware before you quit your current system.
    Well said,this was one reason I went with Win Xp over 2000.
    "Specs"
    CPU:High,some say I'm a legend in My own mind.
    Update! Overclocked - Achieved Demi God statis.
    Ram:If she's ready, so am I.
    Hard drive:Ready for access,larger than average.
    Bus speed:Not as fast as My truck.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Does it really matter though? You still SHOULD download updated drivers for all your hardware even if drivers were provided with the Windows cd...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    XP for Fast New Computers, 2000 for people with Average Computers

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you are going for XP, make sure that drivers for older equipment (scanners, printers) are available, a lot of the manufacturers haven't bothered to upgrade their drivers (but that goes for w2k too, for very old bits).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    vampiro's Avatar Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    i run XP Pro on 667mhz machine no probs no slow down unlike win me so itll be able to cope on a 733mhz machine no probs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12