Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Should BT sites block entire Regions?

pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by SliDer5 View Post
    there are better solution for DDos, check out Oink for instance
    I have no idea which solution Oink is implementing, but you need to remember that it's a lot harder to DDOS a site like Oink than it is to DDOS most other sites. It requires a lot more sources and synchronization. Oink was built to handle huge amounts of traffic, which makes it immune to most smaller scaled DOS attacks.

Hell, I bet most trackers would consider Oink's normal traffic as a massive DDOS attack..
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    Elite BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by pro267 View Post
    there are better solution for DDos, check out Oink for instance
    I have no idea which solution Oink is implementing, but you need to remember that it's a lot harder to DDOS a site like Oink than it is to DDOS most other sites. It requires a lot more sources and synchronization. Oink was built to handle huge amounts of traffic, which makes it immune to most smaller scaled DOS attacks.

Hell, I bet most trackers would consider Oink's normal traffic as a massive DDOS attack..
    still according to the nature of DDOS there is a simple solution, most of respected sites already implementing it

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    Remi's Avatar Mr. Remi to you!! BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I would say that is the most stupid solution evah, banning hole regions/country's...that´s dumb...

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    rvt's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    still according to the nature of DDOS there is a simple solution, most of respected sites already implementing it
    DDOS comes in many flavours, and there is no simple solution.
    If multiple IPs are all repeatedly hitting your web server, you can drop in blocking at the firewall or server level (hosts.deny/iptables/htaccess). You could add the IPs to the bans table in the database, but allowing a DDOS to trigger a database lookup with every hit is a very bad idea.
    If they are attacking a different service, then the options are different.

The common denominator is that they can all be handled by an external firewall. At that point, you either have enough tech support to add the IPs one by one, or you don't in which case you suffer through it or drop in some range bans.

Oink does have a lot of traffic, but they also have a large operating budget. Maybe they can afford to have targetted firewalling.

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    Skengeboy's Avatar k1337oris BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Of course it's okay. To have access to a BT site is a privilegie, not something you must have to survive. And yes, they have all the rights to ban whoever they want, and countries with their IP ranges banned probably often deserves it, many cheaters, leechers and the rest of them have slow connections overall. It ain't very kind to the users that work hard to keep good ratios and seed as much as they can to let someone come and have it all for free.

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    Well banning am entire country might not be politically correct.
    But how the freck cares?

The ammount of cheaters that some countries produce is absurd.
    It only brings tonns of extra work to staff, and frankly they have better things to spend their time on.

And its only a tracker, there are like a couple of hundreds of them out there, so if one have banned your country, just find one that allow your country.

I have been Support at one of biggest trackers out there, and people are so freeking stupid that they refuse to accept that they have been caught cheating.
    And they are willing to argue with your for hours and hours on end, and since you are staff, you have to act mature and take their feelings and stuff into consideration.
    So you cant tell them to freck off and put them on your ignore list.
    Even though they managed to download 1 episode of PB and upload 5 TB of data on that one in just 20min.

7. BitTorrent   -   #57
    I think there are pros and cons for both sides. Banning an IP range makes sure your trackers stay healthy, but high-levelers are too appreciated even by cheaters and leechers for the practice to have any purpose accept punishing good members and potential members whose only fault is the wrong country.

On the other hand, my opinion is that low-levelers should practice region blocking more than they do, at least temporary blocking until some mentalities learn the hard way. If they don't, well, there's nothing else you can do but make sure never get a chance to learn again.
    Last edited by Effer; 10-14-2007 at 05:27 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #58
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Countries like Israel need to be banned. Their internet just sucks, the upload is something like 15kb/s, imagine the speed going to north america or even europe.

They're all cheaters anyhow and useless to the bt community.

9. BitTorrent   -   #59
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    hmm

Last time i checked we have not banned the middle east. We have talked about it many times and most want to but i have not set any ranges as of yet.

We also have vips from the middle east, so why would i ban them.

We have a invite system were people from the middle east get in all the time. We also have a user app where people can signup and if a staff member thinks they would be a good fir they get a invite code (same thing as TDC). Most people that dont get in from userapp is mostly because we think they are lieing and or using a proxy.

Only thing we have done is set ranges on know cheaters that we have caught and or traders, but this banns do get lefted in time as ips change alot.

So once again people posting crap they have no clue about.

Wild

10. BitTorrent   -   #60
    RaPPeR's Avatar (¯\( o_0)/¯) BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    As one that comes from such country [ that his all range got banned by some trackers ]
    It sucks.
    All those of you that in favor of banning all range of country's ip, I want to see you living in one of those countries . When you haven't do nothing wrong.
    Its easy when you there .
    From the other hand ,I can't say I blame them for doing it.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast