Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What, Excactly, Is A Dj?

sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    What a shroud of mystery it lives in!
    It's beginning to seem like some sort of cover-up!
    It was probably that damn Kennedy family.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

2. Music   -   #12
    Dj Tiesto world's best dj

3. Music   -   #13
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Deejay Biz...The best eva turntabler who doesn't even know what one iz...

(yeah people payed me out for being one)...Meh my band recorded a couple of songs...Then we knew nu-metal would die in the ass...so we decided to not go on with it...and choose a life that wouldn't lead to becoming broke...Note at the moment we are all university students living below the poverty line...

4. Music   -   #14
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    The term DJ means completely different things depending on the context in which you use it.

In dance music it involves seamlessly mixing records to create a continuous mix, in radio it involves a lot of talking and entertaining the listeners, in pubs/clubs, it ogten just involves choosing what songs to play on a CD player. In hip hop, it can range from scratching and beat juggling to creating completely new music with samples from records, utilising anything up to 5 turntables, although they often prefer the term turntablist due to the vagueness of the term "DJ".

In reggae, where the term originated, it actually referred to the guy who used singing and "rapping" to hype up the crowd: what's now known as an MC.

If you want to see why some of these guys have REAL talent, check out the dmc mixing championships, truly amazing stuff, or listen to DJ Shadow to see what can be done. It is a true skill.

5. Music   -   #15
    Go to dropthatbass.com There you will find out about the best DJ around, SHARAZ!

6. Music   -   #16
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    One entry found for disc jockey.

Main Entry: disc jockey
    Function: noun
    Date: 1941
    : an announcer of a radio show of popular recorded music; also : one who plays recorded music for dancing at a nightclub or party

7. Music   -   #17
    B) i gave up discussing about what music is good and what is not, and as a hiphop- or rock- or a drum n bass-dj are different things, it's difficult to determine what's their use to YOUR world of music. Cause to me a dj is someone who ads some feeling to music. His value and style are depending on what you hear, meaning better or worse than the original ! Compare with a cook's meal, or people putting salt on it.

Mixing on bpm for hours is like riding a bike, a child learns it and never forgets). Although i've heard people calling themself dj even without controling this simple technique. As said, let software mix your songs ... it's when you put these songs in a special order, without getting bored, a headache or falling asleep, then you can talk shit ! And nothing beats vinyl, to me the hiphop scene has the most wizzardous dj's; scratching is making me itch. Don't eat spam, eat vinyl.

But leave the dj behind and party ? Ofcourse if you want to. Or you play song after 2 seconds song after 2 seconds or you even can play mixes of unlimited length !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12