Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: whats the best firewall?

Poster
    i use outpost which is pretty good
    zonealarm is ok too but it gets annoying with so many warnings + i like the outpost interface better

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    BANNED
    There is no such thing as best firewall as whole. It is combination of hardware and software, along with the rule that you implement. Might want to look in IPTable/IPChan if you can or have a old machine that is obselete compared to todays standard. Then install linux on it and run it as console and use it as your defult RAN server.

For example I am using a P4 2.6ghz system with 2gb ram as my RAN server to filter and osf packets. It is also used to prioritize my packet header depending on the scheme I am using.

PS: but if you are using Windows then I suggest you look for a firewall that is at least ICSA certified. Don't waste your time with brandname (Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm) as it will be BS.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperNode View Post
    There is no such thing as best firewall as whole. It is combination of hardware and software, along with the rule that you implement. Might want to look in IPTable/IPChan if you can or have a old machine that is obselete compared to todays standard. Then install linux on it and run it as console and use it as your defult RAN server.

For example I am using a P4 2.6ghz system with 2gb ram as my RAN server to filter and osf packets. It is also used to prioritize my packet header depending on the scheme I am using.

PS: but if you are using Windows then I suggest you look for a firewall that is at least ICSA certified. Don't waste your time with brandname (Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm) as it will be BS.
    Agreed. But if you do have high system specs. I find the new Mcafee 2008 suite to be pretty good on the resources (Vs previous versions that weren't). Also try AVG 7.5 free. Edition.
    Last edited by grimms; 01-05-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: edit

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    outpost or kerio.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by zenithbgd View Post
    outpost or kerio.

Outpost is a pain in the ass because it works too dam good .
    I'v been trying Comodo Pro and find it's easier to train . Outpost with its defense shield ? was very intrusive .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Kebert's Avatar Xela BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zenithbgd View Post
    outpost or kerio.

Outpost is a pain in the ass because it works too dam good .
    I'v been trying Comodo Pro and find it's easier to train . Outpost with its defense shield ? was very intrusive .
    I couldn't agree more, really want to stress how good Comodo is

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Magnum's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I use outpost and works very fine for me.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    I think sygate!!!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    people always say nero/mcafee use up too much ram/cpu, but if your system can handle it you won't even notice the difference, plus they're an all-in-one virus/firewall

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Online Armor.

This outfit-

http://www.matousec.com/projects/win...ewalls-ratings

-does leak-testing on firewalls; says O-A's default settings outstrip any other firewall, which puts it two slots ahead of Comodo, and, like Comodo, it's free.

I've been using it for a couple of months, and it's the bee's knees.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast