Thread: Setup is Taking a Long Time (ASUS MOBO)

How long should a first boot-up take? Right now my computer is 'Detecting Drives'
    *edit*
    To be precise, my computer says:
    "JMicron Technology Corp. PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller BIOSv1.06.64
    Copyright (C) 2005 JMicron Technology. http://www.jmicron.com

Detecting drives, please wait . . .

_ (blinking)"
    [That "_" dash started on the far left, and moves right. It hasn't moved in a while. Just keeps blinking. This is my first time booting up a custom computer]

I have:
    *ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
    *Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    *Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600
    *MSI NX8800GTX-T2D768E-HD OC GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    *XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P4 600W ATX12V 600W Power Supply
    *G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
    *Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    *SAMSUNG 216BW Black-Silver 21.6" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
    *Pioneer® DVR-108 DVD±RW
    Last edited by Brenya; 10-13-2007 at 07:58 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    It's not detecting stuff on the IDE/SATA channels. Check your connections & cables.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    It's not detecting stuff on the IDE/SATA channels. Check your connections & cables.
    Yeah, I fixed that. Now the detection actually finished, but now it says "no any drives found" (yes, no instead of not - weird).

I am also having trouble setting up the bios. It keeps telling me to put in a floppy disk with the BIOS information.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Sounds to me like RAID is enabled by default and it was searching for drives to build the array from.
    I would go through the BIOS and change that.

You haven't loaded the OS yet, have you?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Now when I turn on my computer a LARGE PIERCING BEEEEP! sounds. It is loud and doesn't stop. Wtf?

I also discovered that i had the sata cable in the raid slot instead of the stata1 slot on my motherboard. So I fixed that raid issues

I'll tell you guys what happened...

First thing I did was install Windows XP Pro (Getting Vista Soon). Everything was working fine.
    Then I shut down to take a look at my computer, to tidy up and such.
    After that, currently, the computer powers up but the screen shows nothing and the computer just beeps continuously.. very loud.

I'm am now trying to retrace my steps. What could be the problem? The Asus manual says that 1 beep means "Keyboard controller error, Refresh Time error, No master drive detected." I don't know if it means 1 short beep, or a continuous long beep. Also, what is a refresh time error?
    Last edited by Brenya; 10-13-2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    It's likely you're still having drive detection issues.
    You moved a SATA cable and now one of the error options is "No master drive detected" which seems more pertinent than a keyboard or refresh time issue.
    I have no clue what a "refresh time" error is, BTW.

I've never seen the BIOS for your mobo so I can't imagine what's going on.
    Usually the options are defaulted to the simplest, least obscure settings but yours seems to want to use more advanced settings (i.e., RAID) from the getgo.

Odd.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg