Thread: Client? Upload Limit

Member BT Rep: +1
    Sorry for making a new thread, I tried to use the search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a 100Mbits connection but the download/upload limit is 10GB a day (Yeah I know, hate that).
    Exceeding the limit will result in a 1 month ban. I am looking for a client that will auto-close when I reach close to the limit. Like it will shut down when my total download and upload is close to 10 GB. I am no leecher so instead of just closing the torrent once it have finished, I try to contribute to the community with uploading as much as possible. But it is bothersome to have to check the client every now and then just to make sure that I dont exceed the limit.

Thanks.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    you can tell azureus to stop seeding when a certain ratio is reached. i don't know a client that can autostop all after 10gb.

i don't know your os. why not try to write a script, that disconnects internet when your limit is reached.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 10-15-2007 at 07:58 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    Dont know any clients that does this.

But one thing you could do is just limit the upload speed to say 100kb/s that should keep you around 10gb a day, But do the math on that one because i am not 100% sure what 100kb/s for 24 hours is.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    IMO, there are clients that does this. But you will have to search for yourself. Some time ago, i tried a client which had many functions, others like azerues or utorrent don't have. However, I forgot its name, and it was l;ong back. The only problem about these are many trackers don't allow them.

Better suggestion would be, do some mathematics, wait to see how long it does take on an average to reach 10Gb limit. and use a 'macro' to stop your client after the specified time.

Another simple way is use a program like 'shutdownmypc' to shut down or restart your computer after a specified time, but be sure you don't have your client running on startup. You can do it by going to 'preferences' and uncheck the option on utorrent. Don't know how about others.

You didn't say if that 10 GB limit is of upload/download. If its both upload and download limit, nothing is going to work, even with a client having this function.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    SiNa's Avatar Lucid Dreaming BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    just for curiosity, which isp do you have (if you're in norway now)? i think its better if you change it so you have no limit
    Last edited by SiNa; 10-15-2007 at 08:49 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Hi, thanks for the answers. I guess I'll just do some math and use Azureus. I'm not a big downloader, just downloading a few tv shows (around 200-300MB), but I would like to max out my limit every day by uploading. If Im only downloading 200-300MB, my ratio should be >25

sina1260: I'm on the NTNU network Don't think I can work around it to have unlimited download/upload