Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Newsgroup Servers

Originally posted by Jibbler@14 July 2003 - 07:49
    Well, its a free service, what do you expect? Besides, I believe they limit your bandwidth to 50mb/day or something. When you pay for a server, you can download as much as you want.
    i have a free account with another isp (namely freeserve) and, like tc, am in scotland.

on freeserve, 99% or more of the binary groups are complete

there are no download limits whatsoever
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+14 July 2003 - 06:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 14 July 2003 - 06:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jibbler@14 July 2003 - 07:49
    Well, its a free service, what do you expect?&nbsp; Besides, I believe they limit your bandwidth to 50mb/day or something.&nbsp; When you pay for a server, you can download as much as you want.
    i have a free account with another isp (namely freeserve) and, like tc, am in scotland.

on freeserve, 99% or more of the binary groups are complete

there are no download limits whatsoever [/b][/quote]
    Im with NTL in the uk and i know they get a bad press (dont know why though) and the newsgroups are great, 99% of stuff is complete and its quality stuff as well, not rubbish that you get on other servers.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    What are you guys doing paying so much for an ADSL connection? I pay £18:99 a month for 512/256. BTW dapadipz you BT broadband is not 576/288 it&#39;s the same as mine, thats just the numbers that are on the control status box.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    What are you guys doing paying so much for an ADSL connection? I pay £18:99 a month for 512/256. BTW dapadipz you BT broadband is not 576/288 it&#39;s the same as mine, thats just the numbers that are on the control status box.
    oh thanks hu is ur ISP cuz it luks like im payin too much

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Check out these guys. Absolutely no frills but they have one of the largest pipes of any UK ISP down in the docklands in London. http://www.fairadsl.co.uk/ . I&#39;ve had no problems with them for a while now.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    bloody hell good going that man, ill be signing up with them, is there any kind of associated fees? whats the activation fee and any other installation fees? or is it simply a case of activating the line and paying 19 quid a month

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    im thinkin of telling ma dad to get this.

will my current BT Voyager ADSL Modem be compatitble with this fairBROADBAND isp?

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    btw
    Home 500
    50:1 contention
    dynamic IP address
    wt is the ration 50:1 contention mean

and is dynamic ip were it always changes such as CABLE ips?

cheers&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    you&#39;ve got to remember you&#39;ll probably have signed a contract with bt (for a year or longer) so you&#39;ll be tied into that unless you want to pay a fee to get out. don&#39;t know what the fee is.

and yes, the modem should be compatible with another isp&#39;s service

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Originally posted by Dapadipz@16 July 2003 - 22:47
    btw
    Home 500
    50:1 contention
    dynamic IP address
    wt is the ration 50:1 contention mean

and is dynamic ip were it always changes such as CABLE ips?

cheers&#33;
    50:1 contention ratio means that the maximum number of users sharing one line at any one tmie will be 50. however, this isn&#39;t a big problem yet in the uk. most providers for adsl in the uk are 50:1, most cable companies are 20:1

dynamic ip means the ip will change every day, three days, week, whatever.
    every set period the ip will change

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast