Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win Xp

I've been on WinME for ages now despite having a file called 'Windows XP Professional Upgrade-no activation.exe' which I got from KL long ago. What I'm worried about is starting to install Xp then not being able to activate it and having to spend ages stopping the installation adn getting back to ME.

The title says no activation but is that true? Are XP copies available where activation is avoided?

Is it worth it anyway? - Is XP going to any better than my ME with all the tweaks I've added?

Am I likely to need to reinstall all drivers adn software to be compatable?

Any thought or recommendations will be very apreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    you need 2 reinstall drivers 4 xp bt its well worth it oh yea u problerly downloaded th corprate version which requires no activatio apparntly

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanx monkey head

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    It's not really a question of whether XP Pro is worth it... it's a question of what's better - WinME or a risk of getting your comp f*x0red... i'd say the latter's much better. WinME is such a sh!t system that even DOS is better... at least it doesn't crash. I know after using ME for 2 hours (crashed 6 times in the process). So, yeah, install XP, much better.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    what are your comp specs? I recommend XP only to High-end users. Atleast 1.0ghz, with 128-256mb ram.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Roosh's Avatar Poster
    Wolfmight,

I'm in the same position as samsamsam and have got only 733mhz, but 191 RAM.
    Do you think I can manage?
    What about my hardware? I've got a Dell Dimension series pc, circa 2000

I still haven't gotten a clear answer on which specific xp files to download -- pro, pro corp, sp1, office w/ frontpage or not, etc. Can you make a recommendation and then narrow it down for me when I do a search by giving its exact filename and size?

I don't understand the notion of activation, either: if the filename doesn't say with activation or activated, it's a short trial & I've got to get my hands on a random 5x5 key? And if so, where do I look?
    Does getting an activated copy rule out the possibility of getting support from microsoft because it's someone else's registration info, or does it allow you to?

THX!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    You might be cutting it close when running it on that. I think the minimum requirements are around there and i know you need at least 128 mb of ram. And with the activation, it's where you have 14 days to activate Windows. If you don't do it within that period of time, Windows will not operate until you do activate it. What you want to get is Windows XP Proffessional Corp edition. This doesn't have the activation in it. You can still get support from MS if you call them in or visit their website. All the latest of Microsoft's OS and Software like Visual Studio or Office have 2003 in their name so it be best to look for those or at least in the near future since I think Office is still in beta which would make XP the latest released. If you only want the OS just get Windows XP Proffessional Corp. If you also want an office suite, look for Office XP.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Roosh's Avatar Poster
    That doesn't sound good -- and you can't adjust mhz, right? Well, I don't have much choice as ME has literally and figuratively been a disaster for me -- or maybe I'll go for Win2000 with some xp icons from icon packager...

So if the file says with activation, that means it comes activated and I don't need to do anything?

I'm downloading the "win xp pro corporate final -- this prog works great and need not be registered or activated". Do you know this copy to be trustworthy?

So when it completes, do I run the exe and install to a disc and use as an installation disc? I can't save it to the hd because I've got to reformat prior to installing, correct? (same goes for )

I'm unclear on service packs -- do the necessary sps already come with the xp pro corp file, or do I have to download one of those 130+meg sp1 files separately and install later? Aren't sps downloaded from microsoft and added on, or am I confusing that with internet explorer service packs?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    No you can't adjust mhz unless you buy a new processor and/or motherboard. Windows 2000 is tried and true and works great on older computers.

I don't know about the files floating around on p2p networks since I got a corp copy from my cousin's college but i'm assuming with activation means you have to activate it.

The file you are downloading is most likely an iso or a bin/cue file or one of those rarred up. When you burn those, goto wherever the "burn image file" option is in your cd burning program and choose the file you downloaded.

Some copies floating around already have Service Pack 1 in them. If not you can just install it through Windows Update one you install XP.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Roosh's Avatar Poster
    Ok.
    What, in your estimation, am I losing by going with win2k over xp (what are the key differences)?

By going with win2k, do my specs work more to my advantage, or is it similar to xp's suggested requirements?

Can I combine 2000 with office xp w/ front page, or would I just get an office 2000 to match?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast