Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torrent sites making $50,000 per month

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    As we all know high traffic sites generate a lot of ad revenue. One question that I have been dying to see answered is how much money these big torrent sites are making. Armed with my scary question I emailed a few bittorrent webmasters and waited for them to reply. Almost all webmasters were hesitant to answer my question and were not sure if they could trust me, one even replied that they only do press releases via TorrentFreak. After negotiating with a few webmasters, they agreed to hand out a global estimation on how much revenue they generate, under the condition that I don’t reveal their identity.

Having emailed around 12 torrent site owners, only 4 of them were ready to spill the beans. One very large torrent site with over 500.000 visitors per day told us that they are generating around 30-40K per month and a double of that amount during the last two months of the year. Another torrent site with more then 300.000 visitors told us that they were making 50K per month on average. The other two torrent sites were generating a revenue of 35-60K respectively.

When you think about it, most of these sites are administered by very young people, some under the age of 20. We were wondering what such youngsters are doing with that amount of money, well we got a few interesting answers. One site admin told us they were investing in real estate and side projects. Some even told us that they believe bittorrent isn’t going to last forever. The growing pressure from anti piracy groups has forced us to look for other sources of income.

Final thoughts:

It’s obvious that Bittorrent is big business and that webmasters will go to extremes to protect their interests. The only downside to having all that money is that it makes you a big target for anti-piracy groups. No wonder these webmasters are so careful. Keep up the noble work guys!

Source: http://www.peertopress.com/how-lucrative-is-bittorrent
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 10-19-2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added image.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    The Pirate bay and some of the bigger private sites would have to be making at least that much cash. Personally I think it's a bit messed up to be making cash of p2p particularly seeing as how the content all comes from the scene anyway. BT is about sharing not profit imo.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    My first news item

and yeah i have to agree, we dont even make 1/3 of that in a whole year, never mind a month.

but then we dont get 500,000 visitors a day, and we dont have any ads on the site at all.

Im still suprised they make that much though, as i would have thought most users would just ad block them.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    when you say we you mean FST right?
    WE do have ads on site but i doubt it brings any hard cash.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    no when i say WE i mean blackcats-games, im not even a member of FST (or any other private tracker for that matter)

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    no when i say WE i mean blackcats-games, im not even a member of FST (or any other private tracker for that matter)
    FYI, FST = File Sharing Talk

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    ah, im tired, let me off 10am and no sleep.

but i havnt a clue how much this website makes, so i was not implying this website as we, but blackcats-games. (it is in my sig, but obviously some people have sigs turned off)

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    ah, im tired, let me off 10am and no sleep.

but i havnt a clue how much this website makes, so i was not implying this website as we, but blackcats-games. (it is in my sig, but obviously some people have sigs turned off)
    no worries mate. I actually did understand you the first time

BTW, which staff member are you on blackcats?

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    this thread is going way off topic now lol but im the owner.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    this thread is going way off topic now lol but im the owner.
    wow, big man!

And back on topic, I'll bet demonoid is well above average on that list. 3M+ users and god knows how many visits per day. Plus they give Privileges to those who pay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast