Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FreeRice Word Definitions Game

Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    I think Les and JP could really do some good here: http://www.freerice.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by goodricepeople
    FreeRice has a custom database containing thousands of words at varying degrees of difficulty. There are words appropriate for people just learning English and words that will challenge the most scholarly professors. In between are thousands of words for students, business people, homemakers, doctors, truck drivers, retired people… everyone!

FreeRice automatically adjusts to your level of vocabulary. It starts by giving you words at different levels of difficulty and then, based on how you do, assigns you an approximate starting level. You then determine a more exact level for yourself as you play. When you get a word wrong, you go to an easier level. When you get three words in a row right, you go to a harder level. This one-to-three ratio is best for keeping you at the “outer fringe” of your vocabulary, where learning can take place.

There are 50 levels in all, but it is rare for people to get above level 48.
    I'm hovering at around 31, but it's great fun and seems genuine
    Last edited by benchez; 11-14-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    Now go away.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    I think Les and JP could really do some good here: http://www.freerice.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by goodricepeople
    FreeRice has a custom database containing thousands of words at varying degrees of difficulty. There are words appropriate for people just learning English and words that will challenge the most scholarly professors. In between are thousands of words for students, business people, homemakers, doctors, truck drivers, retired people… everyone!

FreeRice automatically adjusts to your level of vocabulary. It starts by giving you words at different levels of difficulty and then, based on how you do, assigns you an approximate starting level. You then determine a more exact level for yourself as you play. When you get a word wrong, you go to an easier level. When you get three words in a row right, you go to a harder level. This one-to-three ratio is best for keeping you at the “outer fringe” of your vocabulary, where learning can take place.

There are 50 levels in all, but it is rare for people to get above level 48.
    I'm hovering at around 31, but it's great fun and seems genuine
    Still can't get past 45 but I have donated 1110 grains of rice. Some of those words are obscure. I know many but would never use them on a day to day basis.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. Lounge   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I reached 40-42.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    I haven't got anything over 33 yet...my miniscule memory of latin lessons has helped a weebit though.
    Last edited by benchez; 10-19-2007 at 07:16 PM.
    Now go away.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

Still can't get past 45 but I have donated 1110 grains of rice. Some of those words are obscure. I know many but would never use them on a day to day basis.
    That's good, couldn't get over 43 myself, 600 grains doned.

I'll probly have a look at that again, it seems like a good idea.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    I haven't got anything over 33 yet...my miniscule memory of latin lessons has helped a weebit though.
    Thank goodness weebit was not one of them.

Sorry could not resist.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    np

I just thought. They're gonna be sick to death of rice after we're all done mastering this game
    Now go away.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    chalice's Avatar ____________________

Some were total guesses.

Good game. Good game.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice View Post

Some were total guesses.

Good game. Good game.
    It's not really total guesses but, is it. You're probly recognizing parts of words or common roots.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Sextent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice View Post

Some were total guesses.

Good game. Good game.
    It's not really total guesses but, is it. You're probly recognizing parts of words or common roots.

Correct. Educated guesses would be more punctilious (whatever that means).

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast