Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games Freezing!

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    OK, heres something to think about. Not only does my PC freeze while playing games. My PC also dies when I try to encode a VCD with TMPEGEnc, and while extracting big files with WinRAR, and during some other things. So I'm guessing its not my graphic card..... what if its my RAM? Is there a program that can check a PC's RAM for problems??? Thanks in advance...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Reading through the first posts, I was going to ask if your system crashed only in games or doing other things .. but since you've now said that it crashes in other things, it does ease some of the suspicion on the video card.

Judging by the screenshot, you're running 2000 or XP, right? toddiscool is probably right in saying it's not an IRQ issue (assuming you have fairly recent hardware in the machine). At one point I had something like 10 devices listed on 1 IRQ while running Win2K.

As far as checking RAM for problems, look here: WebAttack - Memory Utilities and check out Memtest86 and/or Memtest.

Hopefully these will help. I had a similiar problem not too long ago .. though it turned out to be the motherboard and not the RAM.

Best of luck!
    --
    Pixellated

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Yes!!! pixellated this was your first post, and man was it fantastic! I found what my problem is! Thanks to memTest.

I'm not saying its a good thing my RAM sucks, but now I know for sure if I buy new RAM my games (and PC) will work great! I found out what my problem is and know how to fix it! Thanks pixellated!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Well that is one hell of a first post. Definetly a welcome addition to the board.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Hehe. Thanks guys.
    Glad I could help. Kinda sucks to have to replace parts, but if it runs right afterwards, it's usually worth it.
    --
    Pixellated

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Noooooo!!! I bought a new stick of 512mb SDRAM PC133, and gave it a test drive. My games still freeze!

I don't get it, I got new RAM, and that didn't help. I also ran one of my games in Software Rendering (so the graphic cards not used) and my PC still froze! So its not my graphic card, or my RAM.

Why does this happen!?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    did u take all the old ram out? it may be overheating, keep the case lid of and try it

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by pixellated@15 July 2003 - 03:38
    I had a similiar problem not too long ago .. though it turned out to be the motherboard and not the RAM
    have you tried another motherboard, see if a friend will let you put your memory in his motherboard

actually this is starting to sound like an expensive problem - chuck this comp in the bin (or even better see if some idiot will buy it off ebay) and get a new one
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    I had the same problem with all my games freezing !!

I surfed for a month and found a patch that works on my gforce.

EVERY game now works...

I was told it was my power supply a billion times and not having the latest drivers.

It may not work on your pc if you have conflicts..

But if you want to try it give me a shout !

Cheers Alan

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    did u take all the old ram out? it may be overheating, keep the case lid of and try it
    Yes I took the old RAM out. And I tried it with my case open, same thing...
    have you tried another motherboard, see if a friend will let you put your memory in his motherboard
    Its a brand new stick of 512mb pc133 sdram, I don't think the ram is the problem...
    I surfed for a month and found a patch that works on my gforce.
    What sort of patch are you talking about? What should I be looking for? And yes I do have the latest drivers too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast