Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omfg, Help

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T

Urgent

This has got to be fucking shittest thing that can ever happen to your rig.

So basically yesterday I was just browsing facebook, when all of the sudden I hear a clunk and my screen goes complete black. So I was like wtf, tried ctrl+alt+delete and got no response, so I held the power button for like 5 seconds but still nothing happened.

When I finally opened my case, it turns out the MOTHERBOARD fell off of the mobo risers, and touched the metallic parts of my case. I guess this is my fault because hen I built this comp 2 years ago, I cheaped out and got a $20 dollar case which came with plastic mobo risers.

So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do. This piece of crap P3 500mhz 6-year Toshiba satellite laptop I'm using is seriously pishing me off.

Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    If you have no power at all, I would check the power supply. But I wouldn't buy a new one yet, I would open it up and look for a changeable fuse and if its there and its blown, take it out and to radio shack and let the salesperson identify the size for you. You can often tell if a fuse is blown by looking closely at the wire that runs thru the glass tube or if you have a meter check its continuity. Wouldn't it be nice if all you need is a one dollar fuse.

I have been inside quite a few supplies and they are not dangerous like a crt monitor would be, the capacitors in there will shock you but no worse than a taser. Just be careful, remove 4-6 screws to take off the top plate, you may also have to remove a few screws and a small circuit board to get at the fuse. If your really concerned about the capacitors you can short one of the solder points to the case for each of the two big ones to discharge them, there the ones that can give you a jolt.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    ...the capacitors in there will shock you but no worse than a taser. ...
    Hahaha

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    it turns out the MOTHERBOARD fell off of the mobo risers, and touched the metallic parts of my case.
    Owned..how the fuck would a mobo fall off of the mounts?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do.

Seedler, you're reputedly a smart boy so what do you mean "wtf do I do"?
    The motherboard is probably fried and the rest of the stuff (assuming it's the same vintage as the CPU) is junk as well.

Replace the machine.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    @Appzalien...
    A motherboard mysteriously falls from it's mounts and grounds on the case- the PC dies and your first impulse is to open up the power supply?

hmm.
    Last edited by clocker; 10-21-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    WoW, that pretty much sux. now u know not to gimp urself on ur next case. only thing to ever happen to me like that was my monitor. i had it for 7 years and it pretty much blew up in my face. lol, the fucker was on fire and i freaked out. threw it off my balcony. now i've got this great 24 inch WS LCD. never looking back to crt again. bad times 4 u. hope u had some money saved.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do
    well 1st thing you can do is remove your sig

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I don't see how it can just fall off.
    Surely the video card, which is screwed into the case, would hold it in place?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    yeah, besides all the connectors and stuff plugged into back should hold it never heard of such thing, plastic spacers are spacers, but you screw your board with screws don't you
    anyway, find out what exactly died, damage made that way shouldn't affect your budget too much.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast